Corsair Community

DDR2 compatibility issue

argonathme

Current Specs above

Originally I had a Phenom 9950 with all the same hardware listed above and my RAM operated perfect at 1066 @ 5-5-5-15 1T. Now that I have upgraded to a Phenom II 940 I can only run at 800 with 4-4-4-13 1T. Nothing else has changed which leads me to believe these modules have an issue with Phenom II's. I have tried all the suggestions made in here, setting the voltages and timings manually, default, and tweaked BIOS settings. All a no-go. All the hardware works so don't blame it on my motherboard or anything else.

Simply put I could run 1066 with the original Phenom and can only do 800 with the Phenom II. Is there a new revision that functions properly? And yes I am using the latest BIOS.

Help would be much appreciated.

EDIT : Will not POST @ 1066 (F2 Recovery), Memtest runs no errors @ 800. Friends DDR2 runs fine at 1066. Any ideas or suggestions?

Seriously? You censor other Memory brands?
This is covered in the rules that you were directed to after you created an account.

Since other memory tested fine at the same speed, I'd RMA the memory. You were running your memory @ the correct voltage as per the label on the memory (2.1v or 2.2v), correct?

The reason for the memory censoring of other brands is simple. This forum is dedicated to helping Corsair customers with their DRAM.

NO DISCUSSION OF COMPETITORS:

This forum is here for the express purpose of supporting current and future users of Corsair Memory. Please do not discuss competing products or their suppliers by name on this forum, either in a positive light or a negative one. Such posts or threads will be edited or deleted at our discretion. Please contact the makers of that product for help. As stated above, their names are filtered out from public view.

If you have questions about non-Corsair products that do not compete with Corsair (e.g. operating system, routers, video cards, etc.), please post in the appropriate sub-forums. Start out with the Hardware Related and Software Related (Non Corsair Questions) areas. Note that Corsair employees do not monitor these areas, but they will move posts / threads to them from the Corsair areas if needed. If you see a post in the wrong area, please report it so that it may be moved to the correct location.

This is covered in the rules that you were directed to after you created an account.

Since other memory tested fine at the same speed, I'd RMA the memory. You were running your memory @ the correct voltage as per the label on the memory (2.1v or 2.2v), correct?

Edited accordingly. :o:

Yes, everything was set manually in the BIOS according to the EPP profile, 2.1v,

5-5-5-15-1T-6-22. I have been trying everything over the last few weeks, including all the suggestions in the forum, from upping voltages a few steps to disabling AHCI and other completely unrelated settings.

I have discovered some interesting things, for example there is not much difference between IDE and AHCI mode with SATA2 drives. (Actually AHCI seems slower in booting Vista and overall responsiveness)

From what I can remember when I was running 1066, 800 with lower timings is actually the same or better, especially with regards to Latency. Still I paid for 1066 and it would be nice to run it that way. Thanks for the responses so far.

• Corsair Employees

There is very little testing available to validate memory on Phenom II so far. However, the Phenoms for the most part had a very hard time hitting 1066 consistently. Some would, most would not. You may simply need to wait for the BIOS to mature.

Have you checked your BIOS for options to adjust the memory controller voltage? A small bump 1-3 steps above stock may help you to hit 1066.

There is very little testing available to validate memory on Phenom II so far. However, the Phenoms for the most part had a very hard time hitting 1066 consistently. Some would, most would not. You may simply need to wait for the BIOS to mature.

Have you checked your BIOS for options to adjust the memory controller voltage? A small bump 1-3 steps above stock may help you to hit 1066.

Yeah I was hoping their latest BIOS 0703 would help but it didn't.

If you are referring to the Processor to NB Voltage then yes, I have tried up to 1.5v with no luck. (Stock is 1.25v)

I am getting good results @ 800 w/4-4-4-12-1T-16 timings. CPU is stock (3 GHz) and HT and NB are 2200 MHz. I am scoring around 17K in 3DMARK06 and matching and even surpassing the Intel C2D Quad @ 3 GHz in Everest Benchmarks. Not too shabby for a 220$ CPU.

Archived