Corsair Community

Twin3x4096-1600c7dhx

kyle0782000

Hello RAMGUY,

Thanks for your help !

I bought on http://www.ldlc.com the kit TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX G to upgrade from my initial and excellent 2*TWIN3X2048-1333C9 G, which ran on my P5E3 Deluxe Wifi AP / E8400. On the website, there was no mention about any Intel compatibility, the only difference seeming XMP support. Is the latter compulsory to run on my system at DDR3-1600 under 7-7-7-20 ?

Despite settings on my BIOS I thought optimal and a BIOS flashed in version 1409, I didn't reach this frequency under these timings. However, I read :

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=287645

I did different tests as follows :

* Mestest-86 v3.4 with the kit installed on DIMM A1/B1 RAM socket => several errors under Memtest

* Mestest-86 v3.4 with the kit installed on DIMM A2/B2 RAM socket => no error under Memtest, but Prime95 or SuperPi [32M] return "round errors".

Any idea ? Thanks !

You don't need the IN series to run this memory on an Intel platform. They simply come with the XMP profile in the SPD chip.

You need to OC your FSB to run the memory at the rated speeds. Test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+ v2.11. Are you running the memory @ 1.9v per specs?

Hello kyle0782000,

I also have the Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wi-Fi edition (please see my PC Specs drop down box for more details) and the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX DDR3 DRAM.

I noticed you updated to BETA BIOS 1409. I do not know if you use the motherboards Express Gate feature, but others are reporting issues with Express Gate after flashing to the BETA BIOS 1409, see the links below:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5E3+DELUXE%2fWiFi-AP&SLanguage=en-us

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090215165224377&board_id=1&model=P5E3+DELUXE%2fWiFi-AP&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Also, I have BIOS version 1109 and have no issues with using the orange (A1 and B1) slots. I stopped updating by BIOS at 1109 because other users on xtremesystems.org have reported overclocking issues with versions beyond 1109. They have had to flash back to 1109 to gain stability at FSB 400 and greater using DDR3-1600 DRAM.

Here is a link for some additional research, if you wish:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163694

You may have to increase your NB voltage as well and set your Command Rate to 2N. Also you should set CPU Spread Spectrum to Disabled and PCIE Spread Spectrum to Disabled. Please use the timings and voltage printed on the sticker that is on the modules. I can provide my settings as a reference if you wish.

Please do DerekT's and Wired's suggestions, if you have not already, and please report back to us.

Hello CTUEdger,

In fact, I supposed that the most recent BIOS would be the better. But I read that bios 1109 was excellent... I was too late before access to the information. However, if people were able to flash back to 1109, I'm interested in having the tips. Indeed, under EZ Flash 2 (Bios environment), I tried to flash back but the interface warned me that the wanted Bios (1109 in that case) was an old version... and nothing more !

Aaargh... :brick:

And yes, Wired, I put the right voltage, and a bit more (1.92V) in order to be sure not being limited. By the way, if I would like to overclock the DDR3-1600 to reach better timings (like I succeeded with my 2*TWIN3X2048-1333C9 G with 8-8-8-20 under higher voltages), what are maximum reasonable voltages (I have to mention that the RAM is perfectly air cooled).

Thanks !

The maximum warranted voltage is 2.0v. You may also want to insert the memory in the second and fourth slots and perform Everest Memory tests. Then insert into the first and third slots with a repetition of the tests. Test the ability of the memory to overclock with higher bandwidth and lower latencies, etc. Also, keep in mind that because one person is able to perform events on a singular piece of hardware in NO WAY can bring anything more than an assumption (meaning NOT based on any empirical data) that the same functional approach will work on their identical hardware.

Empirical data has shown that with the top tier one motherboards running X38/X48/P45 there is a more robust platform with high throughput and capacity DDR3 modules. I am not going to compile research that shows this outcome, it is out there for those who wish to simply define the search and use Google.

Hello CTUEdger,

In fact, I supposed that the most recent BIOS would be the better. But I read that bios 1109 was excellent... I was too late before access to the information. However, if people were able to flash back to 1109, I'm interested in having the tips. Indeed, under EZ Flash 2 (Bios environment), I tried to flash back but the interface warned me that the wanted Bios (1109 in that case) was an old version... and nothing more !

Aaargh... :brick:

And yes, Wired, I put the right voltage, and a bit more (1.92V) in order to be sure not being limited. By the way, if I would like to overclock the DDR3-1600 to reach better timings (like I succeeded with my 2*TWIN3X2048-1333C9 G with 8-8-8-20 under higher voltages), what are maximum reasonable voltages (I have to mention that the RAM is perfectly air cooled).

Thanks !

Hello kyle0782000,

DerekT makes some good points. Specifically concerning the possibly of not making a stable OC at DDR3-1600 with the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX DDR3 DRAM. I was able to achieve stability, but it does not automatically means you will as well. It does take some effort, BIOS configuration, and stability testing in order to achieve this. I know you came to this site after BIOS version 1109. If you are serious about trying version 1109, I will provide some direction.

Indeed, under EZ Flash 2 (Bios environment), I tried to flash back but the interface warned me that the wanted Bios (1109 in that case) was an old version... and nothing more !

As you have discovered, the EZ Flash 2 BIOS utility will not allow the downgrading of previous BIOS versions; a external utility must be used. Fortunately, ASUS makes such a utility.

Afudos BIOS update utility v2.36(download ver2.36):

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Use the three drop down lists to get to the actual download site for the P5E3 Deluxe Wifi edition.

Most people use a bootable USB flash drive configured to boot into a DOS environment so they can make a backup of the current BIOS in case something goes wrong. A bootable CD can be used as well, but a backup of the current BIOS cannot be made.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Another utility from HP:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23839&lang=en&cc=us&mode=3&

I am not sure what OS you are running, but this utility should work under Vista.

Once you have your bootable media created, if using USB flash drive for example, copy the ASUS Afudos utility and the BIOS version 1109 to the media and run the Afudos utility as follows (Rename the ROM file to something more simple like p5e3.rom):

AFU236U /i<ROM filename> [/o<save ROM filename>] where ROM filename=p5e3.rom and the /o switch is the name to backup the current BIOS.

After the flash in complete, remove the media and reboot and enter BIOS and reset to Defaults and save. Enter BIOS again and setup your values.

I hope this helps.

Please note: if you decide to go this route, be carefull! I have not had any issues with this method. Please research on Google like DerekT and myself suggest. To flash to a later BIOS, just use EZ Flash 2 from BIOS.

Archived