Corsair Community

HX520w Making a clicking noise?

Stickyickywicky

Hello all :):

Just wondering really, its not so much of a problem but more of a annoyance! But thought I'd ask here to see if I could get any light on the situation.

Description:

I have the above mentioned PSU (HX520w) which is obviously powering my motherboard, graphics card, hard drive and DVD drive (Probadly a little over-rated for what it delivers power too!) But anyways the issue at hand here is that I get a clicking noise, like turning a light switch on (Not as noisy though) once the computer has run through the BIOS screen and has reached the windows log on screen, should this happen at all? I kind of get the impression that I am not using the PSU to its full capability etc: So I would presume that some part of it is closing/shutting down to reserve power usage hence having a clicking noise. It only makes the click when I either boot up or shut down. Everything works fine with no other issues, hence it's not a problem of such. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Stickyickywicky :sunglasse

• Corsair Employees

The clicking noise is not normal to the unit, however it would not indicate anything functionally wrong with the PSU. If the noise is bothersome, then we can try replacing the unit for you. Many times, the clicking/buzzing noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things.

You may want to test it in a different system to make sure that the noise follows the PSU. If you decide that you would like to try a replacement, then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived