Corsair Community

Asus Striker Extreme and TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

maksym

Hi guys,

I'm starting a new thread becuase I researched similar threads on this forum and tried a number of suggestions, which didn't seem to help. My system details are in my profile.

Here is a problem. I recently decided to upgrade memory from DDR800 to DDR1066 (stupid 5.2 in Windows Experience Index with a twin pair of Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5, v1.1 drives me nuts, with 5.9 for all other components), so I wanted to see whether DDR1066 would make a difference, and purchased twin pair of CM2X2048-8500C5D, v1.1 in a bundle called TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF.

I tried DereckT's suggestions from here. That thread actually describes my problem very closely - although there are some variations.

Here are the settings I tried:

I shut the system down. I inserted one CM2X2048-8500C5D in the second slot - slot 2. Then in BIOS I entered this:

AI Tuning : Manual

Nvidia GPU Ex : Disabled

LinkBoost : Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode : Unlinked

FSB (QDR), Mhz : 1066

Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz : 1066

MEM (DDR), Mhz : 1066

Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz : 1066

Vcore Voltage : Auto

Memory Voltage :2.1v

1.2v HT Voltage :1.2v

NB Core Voltage :1.40v

SB Core Voltage :1.50v

CPU VTT Voltage :1.25v

DDRII Controller Ref Voltage : Auto

DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage : Auto

DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage : Auto

tCL (CAS Latency) : 5

tRCD : 5

tRP : 5

tRAS : 15

Command Per Clock (CMD) : 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings

tRRD : Auto

tRC : Auto

tWR : Auto

tWTR : Auto

tREF : Auto

tRD : Auto

tRFC : 55

Async Latency : Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled

MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled

SATA Spread Spectrum : Disabled

LDT Spread Spectrum : Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control : Enabled

Limit CPUID MaxVal : Disabled

Enhanced C1 (C1E) : Enabled

Execute Disable Bit : Enabled

Virtualization Technology : Enabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech : Disabled

LDT Frequency : 5x

Then, without touching the memory module (2Gb, in Slot 2), I saved the settings, rebooted and went into Memtest (v1.7 - the version I had handy). Memory was running at 1066Mhz, however, LOADS of errors. For example, after 9% of the first pass, around 30000 errors. On one of the sticks, the good pattern is 7f7f7f7f, the bad - 7f807f7f. When I replace the 2Gb stick in Slot 2 with the other one, I get loads of errors as well, the good pattern dfdfdfdf, the bad pattern df20dfdf.

If I try to put one 2Gb stick into Slot 1, the system does not pass POST and, after a couple of resets, returns to DDR800 mode.

Right now, I'm running all 4 sticks (2xCM2x2048-8500C5D and 2xCM2x2048-6400C5) in DDR800 mode, booted in windows vista 64-bit - everything works with 8Gb of RAM. I also tried memtest on CM2x2048-8500C5D in single-channel mode at 800Mhz - there doesn't seem to be any errors at all. However, I really purchased Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF to run it in DDR1066 mode.

Any suggestions? Perhaps, there is something else I can try before I declare that this memory doesn't run at 1066Mhz and return it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. I should probably add that reducing the frequency for memory to around 900-950Mhz makes the system pass POST if there is 1 memory module in Slot 1. Don't know whether this is important.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Try to explain more simply.

You have two sticks. Insert stick one in slot 1, set to the given values. Also, disable Legacy USB in BIOS. Boot to the newest memtest version 2.11 CD. Allow for two full passes. Document any errors. Shut the system down. Insert stick two in slot one and boot to the Memtest CD. Repeat memtests.

You have now tested two sticks and one slot.

If one of the sticks passes memtest, then insert it in slot two, repeat memtest. Remove and insert it into slot three and memtest. Finally insert it in slot four and memtest.

You have now tested all four slots in single channel mode.

If two sticks pass memtest, the insert one in slot one and one in slot three. Run memtest. Shut the system down and insert the same two sticks, now in slot two and slot four. Repeat Memtest.

Results?

Thanks for quick reply! Unfortunately, I printed off your initial version of reply, not the second one, so I didn't disable legacy USB.

In short, DIMM1 in Slot 1 and Slot 3 and DIMM2 in Slot 1 and Slot 3 with settings above do not pass POST (the LCD on the motherboard says "DET DRAM). DIMM1 in Slot 2 and Slot 4 and DIMM 2 in Slot 2 and Slot 4 boot into memtest, and I stopped memtest after around 100000-200000 ERRORS on each DIMM.

What do I do next? Do I need to rerun memtest for DIMM1 and DIMM2 in slots 2 and 4 with legacy USB disabled, or the fact that the system does not pass POST when DIMM1 or DIMM2 are in Slot 1 or Slot 3 is sufficient?

That's not what I asked you to do. Please test the modules singly in all the slots and then dual mode.

And yes, disabled legacy usb mode.

Thanks for quick reply! Unfortunately, I printed off your initial version of reply, not the second one, so I didn't disable legacy USB.

In short, DIMM1 in Slot 1 and Slot 3 and DIMM2 in Slot 1 and Slot 3 with settings above do not pass POST (the LCD on the motherboard says "DET DRAM). DIMM1 in Slot 2 and Slot 4 and DIMM 2 in Slot 2 and Slot 4 boot into memtest, and I stopped memtest after around 100000-200000 ERRORS on each DIMM.

What do I do next? Do I need to rerun memtest for DIMM1 and DIMM2 in slots 2 and 4 with legacy USB disabled, or the fact that the system does not pass POST when DIMM1 or DIMM2 are in Slot 1 or Slot 3 is sufficient?

How is it different from what you asked me to do?

I tested 1 single DIMM in every slot, then the other single DIMM in every slot - exactly what you asked me to do. No single DIMMs managed to pass POST in slots 1 or 3.

More precisely, here are the results of SINGLE DIMM@settings above in every slot:

1) DIMM1 in Slot 1: no POST, no boot ("DET DRAM")

2) DIMM1 in Slot 2: over 100000 errors in memtest, with 00ff0000 as error bits

3) DIMM1 in Slot 3: no POST, no boot ("DET DRAM")

4) DIMM1 in Slot 4: over 100000 errors in memtest, with 00000040 error bit

5) DIMM2 in Slot 1: no POST, no boot ("DET DRAM")

6) DIMM2 in Slot 2: over 100000 errors in memtest, with 00ff0000 as error bits

7) DIMM2 in Slot 3: no POST, no boot ("DET DRAM")

8) DIMM2 in Slot 4: over 100000 errors in memtest, with 00000040 error bit

I will retest tomorrow without legasy USB support. I won't be able to run any tests in slots 1 or 3 though, as the system does not pass POST and does not boot. The LCD on the back of Striker Extreme says "DET DRAM".

I think my motherboard is dead. It doesn't start in any memory configuration now. CMOS reset doesn't help. It doesn't even get to the screen where I can press DEL to enter BIOS. Dead. LCD at the back shows one of the three:

CODEINIT, CHIPINIT or DET DRAM - and never gets any further...

I haven't done anything, other than following DerekT's advice, took all the memory out, put one stick into the first slot, loaded BIOS defaults, set the BIOS to the settings above, disabled legacy USB support and tried to boot memtest. I wasn't able to start it in any mode since then.

Any advice? :(

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out whether the warranty will cover it.

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove all DRAM
  4. Remove the CMOS Battery
  5. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  6. Press the power button for 10 seconds to drain the capacitors
  7. Let sit for 10 minutes
  8. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  9. Insert the CMOS Battery
  10. Insert one stick of memory (6400) in the first slot (Closest to the CPU)
  11. Insert the Power Cord
  12. Restart the system
  13. Enter the BIOS
  14. Load Default Settings
  15. Save Default Settings
  16. Set DRAM Voltage to 2.2v
  17. Shut the system down
  18. Remove the 6400 and insert a single stick of 8500 in its place
  19. Restart the System

Do you gain boot?

Did exactly as you said.

It doesn't boot. The furthest it gets is "DET DRAM" on POST LCD, but usually it doesn't go further than "CHIP INIT", which is right before DET DRAM.

Any other ideas?

Seems like the mobo is on warranty...

Bought a new MOBO - Asus Striker II Formula. Worked with the memory out of the box, after setting "SLI Ready Memory" to "Expert". That's it.

Still waiting for my old motherboard to be RMA-ed. Ebuyer didn't know that these carry 3-year warranty, so their processes are not tailored to that, and they are raising RMA manually...

I wonder what got the Striker Extreme MOBO to die? 1.4 voltage on NB?

The Nvidia chipsets are somewhat wonky. They have a very high rate of return and this is the reason Nvidia traded their SLi licensing with Intel for the X58 chipset licensing. They are stopping making chipsets. There will be no new chipsets coming from them. They do run very hot and this could have been a factor. I personally believe that the memory controller (Northbridge) is touchier than most although X38/X48 is close.

Good to hear that you're running well. :):

Bought a new MOBO - Asus Striker II Formula. Worked with the memory out of the box, after setting "SLI Ready Memory" to "Expert". That's it.

Still waiting for my old motherboard to be RMA-ed. Ebuyer didn't know that these carry 3-year warranty, so their processes are not tailored to that, and they are raising RMA manually...

I wonder what got the Striker Extreme MOBO to die? 1.4 voltage on NB?

Well, I needed a current-ish motherboard that can take DDR2 memory and would be compatible with my NVIDIA-based RAID0 - that sort of lead me to Striker II Formula.

NB there runs at 80 degrees and I had a couple of funny reboots. However, I don't know what kind of reboots those were - they always happened when I was away from the computer, so I'm not sure whether that was BSOD or windows updates or god knows what else.

Archived