Corsair Community

My New Corsair RAM Makes My Old RAM Stop Working

justinmulvin

When i installed my new Corsair RAM it worked fine but i realized that I still only had one gig available so thinking my new ram didnt work i started checking it out to find out that when i have my new ram paired with my old ram my old ram stops working. I got my new ram from newegg.com from their little thing that gives you the best recomended ram for your computer and now when i take out the new ram and try my old ram alone it works in both memory banks. my new ram also works in both memory banks but when i pair them the old ram stops working and is not even detected. The new corsair ram is exactly the same as my old ram both DDR2 533MHZ PC2 4200 SDRAM so please someone tell me why my old ram does no longer work while paired with the new Corsair ram (my old ram is made by samsung and my computer is a Compaq SR2170NX product # is RK549AA and serial # is CNH7010QKP) thank you for the help to whoever helps me

It is never supported to mix and match different manufacturers DRAM. With DDR2 the speeds are higher and the timings/settings are tighter. Even different versions of the same fabrication and manufacturer might not work let alone different packaging companies.

Test the Corsair memory alone. Does it work? If so, then the issue is one of compatibility between the two sticks.

compatibility should not be an issue considering the manufacterer give it guaranteed compatibility but this ram is exactly the same as my old ram but my old ram is made by samsung. that is the only difference. I didnt think i would have an issue with compatibilty because on the package for my new ram it says guaranteed compatible right on the package.

Sorry, it does not state compatibility with other companies DRAM and you are wrong, the same speed model does not mean it is compatible.

compatibility should not be an issue considering the manufacterer give it guaranteed compatibility but this ram is exactly the same as my old ram but my old ram is made by samsung. that is the only difference. I didnt think i would have an issue with compatibilty because on the package for my new ram it says guaranteed compatible right on the package.

Archived