Corsair Community

question

Nonpluszultra

Hi, i have an Asus Striker II Formula MoBo vith two sticks of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF. Until now it ran perfectly at 1066 MHz vith 5-5-5-15 timings. Howewer i've put in today 2 more sticks to reach the total 8 GB of Memory. That prowed to be fatal, because since the first starting attempt the MoBo is braindead. Lights are on, coolers work but the monitor says there is no VGA signal, and the Bios Post Message says CPU INIT all the time. No beeps neither. I've tryed to clear Cmos, tryed then the memory modules one-by-one without luck.

Semms i have RMA-d the MoBo. The question is why could that happen, what was my fault and what to do now?

I am in deep trouble, any help is welcome. Thanks in adwance

No, because i get a blank screen the MoBo don't even start the Bios it does nothing in fact.

With two sticks it worked great, without problem, when i installed the extra two sticks, the PC is dead. As i wrote the only lifesigns are the lights and the coolers but nothing else. Nothing starts. Not even the beeps from the MoBo, that's why i think it's gone. And sadly it is the result of installing four sticks. I was wery careful these are expensive toys.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Load setup defaults. Save Setup Defaults.

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the DRAM
  4. Remove the CMOS Battery
  5. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  6. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  7. Let sit for 10 minutes
  8. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  9. Insert the CMOS Battery
  10. Insert the Power Cord
  11. Insert one single stick of memory in the first slot
  12. Restart the system
  13. Enter the BIOS
  14. Load Default Settings
  15. Save Default Settings and Exit
  16. Restart the System and enter the BIOS

Set to the values given above. Shut the system down. Insert another stick in the second slot and restart to gain boot. Once you gain boot, shut down and insert the third stick in the third slot and restart to gain boot. Once you gain boot, shut down and insert the last stick in the fourth slot. Restart and boot to the above given Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes.

Results?

Are you saying that you could not even get a boot with a single stick installed?

Tryed - failed.

Cannot enter Bios.

Bios Post message says: Cpu Init. All the time. That's not an error message.

When powering up the PC , System does'nt start. My monitor says that there is no VGA signal - even with another VGA installed. I have no clues, only the worst fears.

Yes and yes for both questions - that's what i'm saying since my first post.

Now i must go to work, but this afternoon i will disassemble my PC and will try out what is gone on another MoBo - the processor, and the DRams one-by one etc.

A friend of mine will help me out with the test-MoBo.

I don't know what happened, but this souldn't occure on an owerclocker's MoBo like the Striker II Formula, which wasn't owerclocked except for the 1066MHz and the timings, which were already 5-5-5-15. That was with two sticks since the last two months. I have to admit that i didn't loaded the default walues in bios before installing the other two (brand new) sticks.

• Corsair Employees
yes and yes for both questions - that's what i'm saying since my first post.

Now i must go to work, but this afternoon i will disassemble my pc and will try out what is gone on another mobo - the processor, and the drams one-by one etc.

A friend of mine will help me out with the test-mobo.

I don't know what happened, but this souldn't occure on an owerclocker's mobo like the striker ii formula, which wasn't owerclocked except for the 1066mhz and the timings, which were already 5-5-5-15. That was with two sticks since the last two months. I have to admit that i didn't loaded the default walues in bios before installing the other two (brand new) sticks.

Did you ever try clearing the BIOS?

Thread split from original to keep troubleshooting straight (not to mention they are different issues).

Did you ever try clearing the BIOS?
Yes he did in multiple ways.

Testing each part with different components as you are going to do is your only recourse at this point. Let us know how it goes.

It seems that i ran into a typical sucky problem, that all Striker owners fear: The "CPU INIT" error. When i googled for the terms "CPU INIT" and "Striker II Formula", i was amazed, how many forums and threads ar concerned with the same problem. There are plenty tips and giudes for solving the problem from unplugging all imaginable thigs to Woodoo. On the net there is no solution that works for eweryone, and mostly in the end there is only RMA.

I tryed many solutions including the inserting low-end Rams and swapping the CPU, sewral CLEAR CMOS methods with no avail.

My problem was definitely caused by inserting the extra two memory sticks because this has to do with memory timings and voltage not being set properly. This could be changed once able to get into the BIOS, but sadly i cannot reach BIOs at all.

The Bios was set to work with two sticks at 1066MNz with5-5-5-15 timings with 2,1 volts.

When i inserted two more sticks without changing anything in BIOS, the PC won't start any more, not even load BIOS, the only lifesigns are the leds glowing, the fans mowing and the CPU INIT error message on the BIOS pOST message LCD screen.

I am not sure if i had to change the BIOS to its default walues, i was not worried at all, because with two sticks it worked fine for over two months.

I don't know if a new board will work with four sticks or will get the same error again.

Settings for four sticks are welcome. Suggestions also.

Thanks in adwance.

If you can't enter BIOS after the instructions I gave above, then you will need to RMA that motherboard. I strongly advise you to perform those instructions and then insert a single stick in the first slot (Closest to the CPU) and restart.

If you boot and can enter BIOS, then I will give you custom BIOS settings for four modules. This does not mean that four modules will work as that depends on the Nvidia memory controller, not the memory.

I tryed your instructions and several others too. Cannot get past the CPU INIT.

Now i know that this problem is a chipset related problem, not a Corsair related one. I wrote to this forum because my first reaction after installing Corsair modules, but now after much-much reading on the forums i know that it could happen with any other brand, ewen some other major CPU or GPU change. Now i realise why other people say that the Striker II Formula/Extreme is a ****ty MoBo, and blame ASUS. It seems that i had mere luck to use it for almost a year without problems and i am right now happy because the warranty is not ower yet.

Sorry for taking your time. Surely for a time i cannot use my PC.

No problem. An RMA of the board looks to be the way to go. It's not only the Striker, it's the Nvidia chipset. It has a high rate of returns on the memory controller. This is why they finally bit the bullet and gave the SLi license to Intel. So that they could cross license for the X58 chipset. Nvidia will not be making chipsets anymore.

I tryed your instructions and several others too. Cannot get past the CPU INIT.

Now i know that this problem is a chipset related problem, not a Corsair related one. I wrote to this forum because my first reaction after installing Corsair modules, but now after much-much reading on the forums i know that it could happen with any other brand, ewen some other major CPU or GPU change. Now i realise why other people say that the Striker II Formula/Extreme is a ****ty MoBo, and blame ASUS. It seems that i had mere luck to use it for almost a year without problems and i am right now happy because the warranty is not ower yet.

Sorry for taking your time. Surely for a time i cannot use my PC.

• 1 month later...

So, finally my Mobo arrived after 5 weeks. I got a new Bios chip, otherwise i received my old board back, but now it works fine with all four Dimm-s installed.

Altough they won't running with 10660MHz, only 800. I hope i find the solution, but returning to the original post, all is fine, the crash had nothing to do with the modules compatibility or something, because the same modules are now installed and running .

If you could help me out with some bios values for hitting 1066 MHz would be nice.

As a note: i used the follwing settings for running 2 sticks at 1066MHZ with timings 5-5-5-15:

Extreme Tweaker: MANUAL

-FSB & Memory config: Unlinked

-Mem (DDR), MHz: 1066

Overclocking¬

-MemoryTiming Setting:

tCL (CAS Latency:5

tRCD:5

tRP:5

tRAS:15

Command Per Clock (CMD):2T

tRC:22

Overvoltage Memory:2.1V

SLi Ready Memory: CPUOC max

The problem is that i cannot acces the SLi Ready Memory options with 4 sticks installed - it's greyed out. With the rest set, the sistem runs at 800MHz with 5-5-5-18 timings.

So i wish 4 stick installed total 8GB at 1066MHz with timings 5-5-5-15.

Is it possible?

There is no Sli for four modules, only two modules. The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions or different manufacturers will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the Corsair DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules.

You are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v.

Thanks.

I bought two sets of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF. Not at the same time, but at the same place. They are supposed to run at 1066MHZ. TheStriker II Formula also supports up to 8 Gig of memory at 1066MHz. It only doesn't work. I admit that these sticks do not appear on the QVL list for that board, but i still have faith.

(the CM2X1024-8500C5 hower does appear on the QVL list)

There is no Sli for four modules, only two modules. The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions or different manufacturers will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the Corsair DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules.

You are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v.

(That wont work!)

It is actually you who did wrong by not informing that there is no possible way to get 2+2+2+2GB of Corsair ram to work together.

Can you just stop blaming your consumers?

First, DerekT doesn't work for Corsair (nor do I for that matter). The Offical Corsair Support Team is listed here: http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showgroups.php

No one is saying it isn't possible, just not probable. The limitations of memory controllers are outside of any memory company's hands.

Since each pair runs as they were sold / guaranteed (e.g. one pair @ 1066), the memory is fine. You can try OC'ing the rig a bit, and you may be able to get the memory controller to allow you to hit higher speeds, but that's up to you.

I actually lost my interest regarding installing 8 Gigabytes of RAM.

Not because i cannot run all of them at 1066 MHz, but because i ran some tests comparing 4 Gig vs 8 Gig of RAM. I used 3DMark Advanced, and the benchmark of my favourite game, Terran Conflict. Here's what i've got:

01 - RAM4Gig@920, CPU@3,8: X3TC-48,6fps 3DMark-9869

02 - RAM8Gig@920, CPU@3,8: X3TC-48,4fps 3DMark-9815

03 - RAM4GIG@1066, CPU@3,3: X3TC-47,3fps 3DMark-9624

04 - RAM4Gig@800, CPU@3,3normal: X3TC-46,4fps 3DMark-9568

05 - RAM8Gig@800, CPU@3,3normal: X3TC-45,4fps 3DMark-9494

So it seems, that 4 Gig RAM performs better, despite all mysticizm of owerpowering all possible options awailable. I awaited much greater improwement of performance when i populated al four DIMM-s with the maximum amount of memory. I am baffled, after so much adwentures (see my first post in this topic, and the date when it was written) this should be the reward.

Archived