Corsair Community

Dominator GT on Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

dominusmortis

I'm running a core 2 quad plataform that does not support triple channel since i was upgrading my memory modules i thought about buying something that would last for some time.

I thinking about buying the 6gb dominator gt kit and since it's a tripple channel kit i'm thinking if it is going to work on my rig , and if i can use it as 3 separated memory modules.

They are not tested or validated on those boards and architectures so they are not supported via RMA if you have issues. As well, you will lose full Dual Channel Mode and move to an dual/single channel hybrid if you use three modules rather than two or four.

In other words, if they do not work on your board, you can not RMA them unless they have physical errors to the DRAM when tested singly.

I'm running a core 2 quad plataform that does not support triple channel since i was upgrading my memory modules i thought about buying something that would last for some time.

I thinking about buying the 6gb dominator gt kit and since it's a tripple channel kit i'm thinking if it is going to work on my rig , and if i can use it as 3 separated memory modules.

I'm running a q6600 on a p5q3 deluxe/wi-fi motherboard by asus.

• Corsair Employees
The modules would most likely work on that board but, it cannot be guaranteed. If you do decide to try this, I'd suggest that you use 2 modules for dual channel operation and save the 3rd for when you do move to a triple channel configuration.

I found people saying that there is no such thing as triple or dual memory modules only triple and dual channel motherboards is that true if so, there would be no downside in using a triple channel memory kit on a dual channel motheboard only a little down in the speed.

is that true or are memory compatible to an specific system?

would the voltage be 1.65 or would they raise to 1.9 or 2.0?

That is correct, and as RAM GUY states, they very likely will work, I just gave you the caveat because they have not been tested and validated on Core 2 boards and as such, are not supported at that level. The voltage would be 1.65, but RAM GUY will have to confirm that the 2.0V maximum warranted is still applicable.

I have flagged him to respond to this question.

I found people saying that there is no such thing as triple or dual memory modules only triple and dual channel motherboards is that true if so, there would be no downside in using a triple channel memory kit on a dual channel motheboard only a little down in the speed.

is that true or are memory compatible to an specific system?

would the voltage be 1.65 or would they raise to 1.9 or 2.0?

• Corsair Employees
Memory is not dual or triple channel that is a function of the MB and or chipset, you only need to install 2 or 3 modules that are matched in the correct slots to enable it. And yes you can use a Tri Channel Kit in a Dual Channel MB but like I suggested previously in this thread I would just use two modules and yes the max Voltage for all DDR3 modules would be 2.0 Volts. However the Core I7 Chipset should not run the memory Voltage above 1.65 Volts or damage to the CPU may occur.

• Corsair Employees
Thanks both of u guys...

but why do u say to use only two modules instead of using 2 in dual an one in single channel?

Because you cannot do this. There are only 2 channels for memory on your memory controller so, it cannot run 2 modules in dual channel AND a single module in single channel.

It MIGHT be able to use all 3 in what is called Flex mode dual channel. You'll need to check with the MOBO maker and/or Intel on the limitations of flex mode. However, flex mode may also suffer a bit of performance so you'd need to test for stability and compare the performance yourself to see which is better.

• Corsair Employees
So if i use 2 modules in dual channel and 1 in single i would have a little down in the speed?

what if i used two 2000mhz modules in dual and another two but 1333mhz or 1600 mhz modules,would there be any downside?

Mixing modules like this is not advised.

Archived