Corsair Community

CMX512-3200C2 and P4C800E DX (P4 3.0)

Yohji

Please, help me if someone can I bought together two black CMX512-3200C2 (they have a TWINX seal on them). When I run memtext86 it hangs at 56% or 98% (but I don't get any errors before it hangs). Then when I install XP SP1 from the HDD (SATA Hitachi 250Go, system partition is 15Go), it tells me randomly that it cannot copy files (even when I retry). Install works fine if I remove one of the memory. I live in Tokyo and Corsair memory are hard to find in Japan (one shop only as far as I know : User's Side), and I am so affraid this shop tells me they cannot exchange them just because I have compatibility problems (but I read on the Corsair site that they should work on any Asus board)... Is there anything I should try ? Maybe changing the timing manualy in the bios could correct this issue ?

You never mentioned what timings you were using. The XMS3200C2 should work fine at 2-3-3-6. I had the same problem installing WinXP, complaining of not being able to read the data. My problem was that I had the RAM timings too low and was getting errors. Since you said that it worked fine when you pulled one stick out, then your problem could be one of two things. Either, you have a bad stick of RAM, or your voltage is too low causing one of the sticks to be have errors when both are installed. You shouldn't leave the voltage at default (2.6V). Corsair memory is pretty power hungry and works best at 2.75V. This has frequently been recommended by RAMGUY in many of his posts and should not void you warranttee. Try adjusting the timings and voltage and see if that fixed your problem. If not, then try testing one stick at a time with memtest86. I like doing 10 passes to be thorough although this can take a while. If one of your sticks is bad, this will help diagnose which one is.

Thank you for your help. I removed the USB legacy support and then memtest86 stopped to hang. I made many passes and I often get errors at the same address (sometimes I have no error). Getting errors with memtest86 necessary means that memory is bad ? If it is the case, should the shop in Tokyo replace it or do I have to ship it overseas ? I got it three weeks ago, but I took me time to understand that it was a problem with the memory. I still cannot Install XP, but it is okay if I plug one of them (I tried both). First I thought it was the CD/DVD-Rom which was running too fast but when I installed from the hard disk I got the same error (I replaced the mother board and the hard disk once). I tried the following manual settings : Voltage: 2,75v Cas Latency: 2T Ras to Cas Delay: 3T Row Precharge: 3T Active to Precharge Delay: 6T Bank: 4T Other settings are left as default, but times to times I get "overcloking failed" from the mother board when I start the system. Thank you again for your help. Yohji __________________ Intel P4 3.0Ghz Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Asus 9600XT 128 MB Corsair TWINX1024MB-3200C2 Hitachi S-ATA 250 GB

• Corsair Employees
I would test the modules one at a time and see if you can isolate one module that is failing. If you can then I would suggest that you ask your reseller if they can help you get them replaced. If both show random errors; that would suggest some other problem. Maybe your PSU or CPU: And I would suggest that you test the modules on another system if possible!

Archived