Corsair Community

cant get bios to see 4gb .. only sees 3gb ??

Mazdaracer4fun

ok heres my setup first then i will get to the problem..

mainboard = MSI K9A Platinum Socket AM2

CPU = AMD 64 3800+ 2.4ghz

Memory = TWO 1gb sticks of (AS IT LOOKS ON SIDE OF CHIP)

"Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400" "4-4-4-12"

2.10 VER6.2 "800MHZ"

2184954 08400678 "XMS2-6400"

"Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400" "4-4-4-12"

2.10 VER6.2 "800MHZ"

2184953 08400678 "XMS2-6400"

THE PACKAGE DOESNT SAY "TWIN2X" anywhere on it.

BUT I HAVE ANOTHER PAIR OF SAME CORSAIR MEMORY BUT THAT PACKAGE DOES SAY "TWIN2X" ON IT A ... DOES THIS MEAN THESE SET ARENT DUAL CHANNEL?

TWIN2X is NOT posted on the stick label, just the packaging label.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

You're not seeing all 4 GB due to a limitation of Windows 32 bit.

• Corsair Employee
ONLY SEES 3 of 4 installed 1gb chips in BIOS aka BOOT UP BEFORE WINDOWS STARTS TO LOAD .

OK, thanks for the clarification. See if your motherboard has an option listed as Memory Remapping or Memory Hole Remapping or something similar. If yes, enable it and see if that resolves your issue.

OK, thanks for the clarification. See if your motherboard has an option listed as Memory Remapping or Memory Hole Remapping or something similar. If yes, enable it and see if that resolves your issue.

ok gimme a few to try it ... ... just for info the pair i listed is the ones i have to add and when i do after a few the computer will lock up mouse pointer and all! ... just some more info

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules, if you are seeing lockups, you may need to increase your memory controller voltage 1-3 steps above stock. If you have a weak memory controller, you may need to also run the memory at 667 instead of 800.

With 4 modules, if you are seeing lockups, you may need to increase your memory controller voltage 1-3 steps above stock. If you have a weak memory controller, you may need to also run the memory at 667 instead of 800.

sorry im a BIG computer tuning newbie ... can you contact me either on phone or AIM and explain a lil more?

WIll H.

Corporate Headquarters

Corsair Memory

46221 Landing Parkway

Fremont, CA 94538

For tech support related questions, call 1-800-205-7657

General inquiries: info@corsair.com

OEMs, System Integrators: oemsales@corsair.com

Customer Service: customerservice@corsair.com

Customer Service Europe: CustomerServiceEurope@corsair.com

Webmaster: webmaster@corsair.com

RMA: rmaservice@corsair.com

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from-->

Enter your BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

Advanced BIOS Features

Cell Menu

High Performance Mode = Manual
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 200
Adjust CPU Ratio = Auto
CPU Voltage = Auto
Adjust CPU Voltage = Default
HT Link Speed = Standard
AMD Cool & Quiet = Enabled

Adjust DDR Memory Frequency = Manual
DDR Memory Frequency = 667MHz
Memory Voltage = 2.0v 
Northbridge Voltage = 1.90v (1.8v default)

Advance DRAM Configuration <Enter>

CAS Latency (CL) = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
ROW Cycle Time(tRC) = Auto
ROW Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 55
ROW to ROW Delay(tRRD) = Auto
Write Recovery Time(tWR) = Auto
Write to Read Delay(tRWT) = Auto
1T/2T Memory Timing = 2T
Async Latency Mode = Auto

Boot to the memtest CD and test for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and post your CPU-z CPU/Memory and SPD tabs in screenshots.

yeah i tried calling support and did what they told me to do and still froze up on me ... i know i have enough power, cpu, mobo, and all that for the ram cause the first pair are perfect but as soon as i add the other pair it goes screwy... im gonna RMA them and try with a new set see if that helps

Are you trying to run 2 modules or 4? If you are trying to run both sets of memory you have listed, please list ALL of the information from the stickers on both kits of memory.

the working pair are exactly the same as the pair listed cept the # on the bottom left is different (ofcourse lol)

same 4-4-4-12, same 800mhz FSB ,same Corsair XMS2 brand, same everything colors and everything! i got another set in the mail and tried them in it and still same lock up ... so i am pretty sure its not the ram .. i think the board has some problem with the bios or a hardware issue somewhere ...

• 3 weeks later...
Did you follow my instructions? Is there a reason why you do not respond to my TWO posts?

yes i did follow them ... i called MSI , and they gave me the link to a newest BIOS version .... 1.8, and VOILA! now it works perfect! so for future ppl who may buy this same board..

MSI K9A Platinum

immediately flash the bios to the 1.8version if you are having issues with it seeing more then 2gb stablely

Thanks for all the help !

WIll H.

Well done!

yes i did follow them ... i called MSI , and they gave me the link to a newest BIOS version .... 1.8, and VOILA! now it works perfect! so for future ppl who may buy this same board..

MSI K9A Platinum

immediately flash the bios to the 1.8version if you are having issues with it seeing more then 2gb stablely

Thanks for all the help !

WIll H.

Archived