Corsair Community

16GB Voyager doesn't work with WD HD TV

Feb10

Hi,

Rather than post a bunch of useless detail about OS etc... that probably won't be needed, here's a summary of my problem.

I have a CMFUSB2.0-16GB (purchased late summer 2008) that isn't recognized by my WD HD TV media player (shown here http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572). This drive is specifically shown by WD as a "supported flash drive" (why all USB mass storage devices aren't recognized is a question for the gods, I suppose...). See http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2581 for details.

Anyway, when I plug the Voyager into the WD HD TV, it isn't recognized. Doesn't matter if it's NTFS or FAT32, same result. Other drives are recognized by the WD, and the Voyager is recognized on my computer, so it's not clear what is going on.

When I plug the drive into the WD HD TV, the drive's LED never flashes.

Maybe the 2 USB controllers (WD & Corsair) are incompatible? I don't know...

I can't be the first to run into this, right? Any help is greatly appreciated....

Thanks.

If that device will not see USB devices through a USB hub then that is most likely why it will not see our flash drive as they are made with a USB Hub interface.

Wow, thanks for the answer. I wouldn't have guessed the controller had a built-in hub. I really appreciate the level of technical detail.

With that info, I googled, and sure enough, USB hubs aren't supported by the WD HD TV. :(:

Makes me wonder why WD lists this drive specifically as a supported device (Voyager 16GB), when other drives (such as a 4GB Voyager GT that kicks butt) works fine.

Can you recommend / identify any high-capacity (16/32 GB) Corsair drives without a built-in hub? I don't want to buy another drive (specifically for the WD), only to find out that it too won't work (no fault of Corsair...)

Thanks Ramguy, you rock, buddy.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but they will build them from time to time both ways mostly to improve the drives performance. But every drive being made currently that I am aware of will use a built in Hub based Controller on the flash drive.

• 1 month later...
My recently bought Flash Voyager 16G works fine with my WD Media Player(latest firmware). It even works through a powered USB 2.0 hub.

Thanks for the info. I wish there was some way to see what the difference was between your drive and mine (hardware-wise, probably the controller chip).

Actually I've had some flakiness with my drive even on my laptop recently, I'm wondering if it really is something specific to my drive, as opposed to all 16GB Voyagers or the WD.

If you happen to come back & read this -- one question -- do you recall where you bought it? I bought mine at NewEgg in (August 2008?) and I tend to buy from NewEgg, but maybe there's a better source.

Thanks again for posting!

• 2 weeks later...

If you happen to come back & read this -- one question -- do you recall where you bought it? I bought mine at NewEgg in (August 2008?) and I tend to buy from NewEgg, but maybe there's a better source.

Thanks again for posting!

I bought it in the middle of March from Newegg, along with the WD Media Player.

For the record..... Corsair Tech Support totally rules....

I RMA'ed my device after I started having troubles on my PC as well... just got the replacement device, and I'm rocking & rolling with the replacement device (PC and WD TV).

I've bought enough Corsair flash drives to start a war, and I'm still at 100% total satisfaction. I couldn't be more impressed or satisfied with the products, support, service and value....

Thanks Corsair -

Dan

Archived