Corsair Community

Voyager 16Gb - how to make two partitions?

HeIsTHighlander

This is an artificial limitation imposed by windows. For any device classified as removable media, only the first partition is listed/accessible.

Okay. Is there any other solution?

I know some USB flash vendors are providing special software for such cases. Maybe there's software not from Corsair, but from MicroController's vendor (Silicon Motion in this case) ?

You can try this, but it is only compatible with some usb drive firmware/controllers: http://www.pendriveapps.com/2008/05/01/bootit-lexar-usb-flip-the-removable-media-bit-tool/

Thanx for the link. First I've noticed that this program assumes that my Flash has size -1088Mb (minus one thousand and eighty eight)

Second - I see no way in the program to set up the number of partitions & their sizes. I've tried to press "format" button (any case, I have all data from flash & spec. software to recover my flash in case if it is recognising for 0 bytes, etc) - program did not asked for partitions, and terminated during format with error.

Flash is working 100%.

Maybe someone has other ideas?

That program was only the change the removeable media bit in the drives firmware. If windows does not think the drive is removable media, it will allow you to see all of your partitions.

What I would suggest is to create your first fat32 bootable partition, and install windows. Boot from the USB drive, and follow these instructions: http://www.lancelhoff.com/make-windows-see-any-usb-flash-drive-as-local-disk/

Hopefully after you reboot, the USB will be seen as local disk. You should then be able to create a second NTFS partition.

That program was only the change the removeable media bit in the drives firmware. If windows does not think the drive is removable media, it will allow you to see all of your partitions.

Thank you, koan00. I've mistaked - I thought it did not changed my flash to "fixed", actually it has changed. Now I've created 2 partitions, everything works fine.

It's strange that Corsair is not providing special software for such operations. But Corsair provides good quality flash drives :)

Archived