Corsair Community

Mixing different memory

Scruff1970

Ive got 2 X 1 GB strips of cmx1024-3200 pro timings 3-3-3-8 version 4.1 in my computer now and just received as a gift 2 X 1 Gb cmx1024-3200c2pt timings 2-3-3-6 version 3.1

MB is an asus a8n-sli premium and what settings would allow these 2 sets of sticks to work together for the total of 4GB?

I tried a few different settings but the computer wont boot. They both work well by themselves but not together. Im assuming the timings and / or versions are causing this.

Im hoping for a ram miracle here!

It's never advised, nor is it supported to mix and match voltages.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Do not setup an overclock! You want to test the DRAM and setting up an overclock adds variables to instability. If you intend on overclocking you will have to drop DRAM and HT speeds. Insert a single stick of DRAM in the slot 1 (Closest to the CPU). Restart, enter bios and set to these values:

Jumperfree Configuration:

Overclock profile: Manual
CPU frequency : 200MHz
PCI Express : 100mhz
DDR voltage : 2.8v
Chipset Voltage : 1.6v
HT voltage : 1.25v
CPU multiplier : 12
CPU voltage : 1.40v
PCI clock syncronization mode : 33.33mhz
Spread Spectrum = Enabled (Disabled for Overclocking)
Cool 'n Quiet = Enabled (Disabled for Overclocking)

Timing Mode: Manual

Memclock index value: 333 mhz
Cas latency (TCL) : 3
Min ras active time (TRAS) : 8
Ras to Cas delay (TRCD) : 3
Row precharge time (TRP) : 3
Row Cycle time (TRC) : 16
Row refresh cycle time (TRFC) :26
Read-to-write time (TRWT) : 3
Write recovery time (TWR) : 3
1T/2T memory timing : 2T 
S/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Enabled
H/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Enabled

Hyper transport frequency : 5
Amd K8 Cool'nQuiet : Disabled

Shut your system down, insert the rest of the DRAM and boot to the Memtest CD. Run Memtest for two full passes.

Results?

• 2 weeks later...

I ran the memtest and got no errors on any of the sticks. I bought 2 more 3200 c2pt sticks so all 4 are the same exact memory sticks

4 X 1 Gb cmx1024-3200c2pt timings 2-3-3-6 version 3.1

The MB is A8n-sli Premium BIOS ver. 1009 AMD socket 939 X2 4600

2 GTX 7800 GTX 512

600 WT P-supply

nforce 15.23 drivers

There seems to be no way for the MB to recognize 4 1Gb sticks. BIOS version 1009 and both memory remappings enabled and it wont boot.

It boots fine with all 4 installed and S/W remap enabled and H/W remap disabled but only recognizes 3 GB

should I be changing the PCI clock sync or any other values for the cpu to get these to work?

Im sorry for the delay in responses but tax time sucked the life out of me :-)

Try S/W DRAM OVER 4G Remap and H/W DRAM OVER 4G Remap, Both of these settings must be ENABLED. The S/W remap controlls Software Remap and H/W remap controlls hardware remap. If you have both in bios make sure, they are enabled. But you still will not make over the 4GB limitation.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20060709005313889&board_id=1&model=A8N-SLI+Premium&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Q: I have read a lot about the 4GM memory problem. Does this problem exist for XP 64 bit?

A: It does because the the chipset on your board can address only 4GB of memory. Since the operating system needs MMIO space, and since there are no higher memory addresses... addresses above 4GB to which the MMIO space can be translated, you can never see 4GB, whether using a 64bit operation system or not...

It wont boot with both remaps enabled.

It will see 2.75Gb with both disabled and will see 3 GB with S/W enabled and H/W disabled.

If I enable both then it just keeps resetting to the boot screen.

This is where Im stuck. Im not trying to see more that 4 GB...just the minimum 4 GB... :-)

You may very well have a motherboard memory controller that will not oblige all four DRAM slots being populated for a 4GB population.

Those Nvidia chipsets were severely lacking in higher end DRAM capacities. Because it doesn't boot with both remaps enabled, this means that it will not open the memory hole. Go with the 3GB as that's the best you will get.

It wont boot with both remaps enabled.

It will see 2.75Gb with both disabled and will see 3 GB with S/W enabled and H/W disabled.

If I enable both then it just keeps resetting to the boot screen.

This is where Im stuck. Im not trying to see more that 4 GB...just the minimum 4 GB... :-)

The Core 2 products will be dropping in price in April. Post here if you want some help deciding what works well together and what you use a system for.

Thank you for the help.

It looks like it might be time to build something new soon that can handle the new technologies

Archived