Corsair Community

TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN - still up to date?

me--on

Hello. 5 Months ago I bought the

CORSAIR TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN

And now I have them, made for intel extreme clocks.

And, You would not believe, 100€ more, before 5 Months

Would like to buy 4 more so I would have 6 GB DFIN 1800, made for extreme timings.

Or are they not good for X58 i7 965 /975???

Is it better, to buy myself three 2GB DOMINATOR GT 2000 instead of two pairs of those DFIN ( because all banks filled can harm the controller and never support 1800)????

What would You do?

Or if anyony has experiences with this comparison, DOMINATOR GT or stick to DFIN?

THX in advance.

• Corsair Employees
The 1800C7DFIN has not been validated on the i7 platform. This memory requires more than the Intel maximum suggested voltage of 1.65v for i7 memory controllers. Therefore, you may not be able to get this memory to run at 1800 with any i7 based system. Also, for a 6GB configuration, I would suggest 3 x 2GB modules of memory that has been tested on this platform. 6 x 1GB will work but, it may run at a reduced speed due to the load on the memory controller. So, again, the frequency cannot be guaranteed due to the Intel voltage limits.

Filling all banks cannot harm the memory controller. However a maxed out memory controller tends not to run memory as fast as it can with less slots filled.

TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN IS NOT recommended for an Intel Core i7 based system, as the max memory voltage is 1.65v, whereas that memory requires 2.0v. You WILL damage the CPU doing that.

This link lists the Intel Core i7 approved memory:

http://www.corsair.com/corei7/default.aspx

I found problems in stability with these modules in the longer term. They worked fine at 1333Mhz and 1.65v and seemed fine with 1600C8/C9 and 1.65v but I would get freezes while playing video movies, etc. When I finally moved to the triple channel DRAM, this issue resolved completely.

buying another pair for having at least 3 gb,each of them in one bank,would still leave me at critical 1600 at c8 or c9.

That means a bottleneck....don't know,quad memory channel will surely arrive at the end of this year....i suppose.

So,what about the dominator gt?

Didn't find any tests on the i7,do you?

So,what about the dominator gt?

Didn't find any tests on the i7,do you?

It's the finest memory around and I certainly would like to pick some up. It's not available right now.

What kind of tests on the i7 are you speaking of? There's lots out there. Just Google Core i7 and benchmarks.

and i7 Benchmarks.

That's , what I was talking about.

Are there already some?

So I will look again for them.

Is there any hope for newer architectures capable working with more than 1,65 V?

It seems to be an ugly barrier, isn't it?

Compared to AMD and their old 939.

• Corsair Employees
Is there any hope for newer architectures capable working with more than 1,65 V?

Typically, improvements in semiconductors involves a reduction of voltage as the die process shrinks. If anything, I would expect DDR3 voltages to drop as opposed to Intel raising the voltage inside their CPU and IMC.

I am speaking of those who are taking the Core2 DDR3 modules and using them in i7. I installed 3 X 1600C7 (1.9v) modules in my i7 machine. I set them to 1600C9 at 1.65v and they passed memtest. However, there were instabilities that disappeared when I finally picked up the proper i7 memory.

This is to clarify my previous somewhat cloudy post.

I found problems in stability with these modules in the longer term. They worked fine at 1333Mhz and 1.65v and seemed fine with 1600C8/C9 and 1.65v but I would get freezes while playing video movies, etc. When I finally moved to the triple channel DRAM, this issue resolved completely.

instead of higher voltage in the imc?

Ok, vice versa.

I compared it to a ddr1, the crucial ballistix tracer, where 1.9 are standard, at least for an Opteron 185.

While amd supports the imc for a long time, their voltage tolerance is much higher.

Really suspicious, why intel cannot cope with that.

Another Question:

- what is the significant speed-brake having the mc not integrated in the

cpu for intel Core2-series compared to the i7?

Where will I find it how big will it be?

Some technical descriptions would be nice, too.

THX in advance.

• Corsair Employees
I compared it to a ddr1, the ******** tracer, where 1.9 are standard, at least for an Opteron 185.

JEDEC specification for DDR1 was 2.5v, not 1.9v. Also, you are comparing a technology that is at least 8 years old. Higher voltage tolerance is not the goal for modern CPUs. Lower power consumption, efficiency, and heat etc are what they are aiming for.

JEDEC specification for DDR1 was 2.5v, not 1.9v.

Could be, but as i remember, i gave 1.9 Volts.

Thanks very much.

By the way, the DHX System...... is it a Peltier ?

Because the DHX image was on my TWINX32048 DFIN, too, and until now i was using no optional fan.

• Corsair Employees
JEDEC specification for DDR1 was 2.5v, not 1.9v..

Could be, but as i remember, i gave 1.9 Volts.

Thanks very much.

By the way, the DHX System...... is it a Peltier ?

Because the DHX image was on my TWINX32048 DFIN, too, and until now i was using no optional fan.

I believe that you are thinking about DDR2, not DDR1. DDR1 motherboards default to 2.5v and unless you modified the BIOS or altered the board, it is not possible to use 1.9v Vdimm on a DDR1 board.

DHX is a passive cooling technology: http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN602_DHX_Technology_Overview.pdf

However, we do have an engineering sample TEC cooling kit, which is not available to the public just yet: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206947

Archived