Corsair Community

12 GB Dominator GT Ram (2000Mhz or 1866Mhz) on Intel X58?

François S.

Hi there

I am trying to find that out since a few days, but until now, i didnt recieved any answer which says clear, yes it is possible (without damaging Hardware) or noz!

Is it in General possible, to run 12GB Ram faster than 1600mhz on the Intel X58 Chipset? Do you know with which Rams of Corsair (Dominator 1866, Dominator GT 1866 & 2000) it will work??? As MB i would choose the Rampage 2 Extreme

Beacause on the QVL of Asus I saw that they say that it is not recommenden to use 2x 3x2 GB kits when the rams are working above 1600Mhz. What are your tests (Corsair) saying?

Many thanks for an answer, François

• Corsair Employees
We have successfully run 12GB on several different 6-slot MOBOs here in our labs. And, quite a few users of our memory online are posting great results up to about 1600mhz. However, anything past that will be luck of the draw and will be dependent upon your individual memory controller on your CPU. 1866 and especially 2000 are going to be pretty hard to do running 6 up.

This is the same answer you got in the German side of the forums earlier.

It cannot be guaranteed, as they don't test / sell 12 GB kits. Also, you won't damage anything by maxing out the slots. You WILL damage the system by going over 1.65v however.

ok, thanks for your answer.

With which configuration have you tested the 12 GBs?

How ist this in general when i want to run the dominator GT (2000MHZ) on my system; which paramaters/settings do I have to change so it will work?

@ wired: I don't think that you could say this generally, that the CPU is going to be damaged when I go higher than 1.65v. There are also users which exceed this limit and the CPU didn't damage

It's been stated in many places that going above 1.65v will damage the CPU as that's where the memory controller is. Now if you keep it within .5v of the QPI voltage (various names on different boards), you can go higher, but the longevity of doing this just hasn't been tested yet. Forewarned = forearmed.

• Corsair Employees

How ist this in general when i want to run the dominator GT (2000MHZ) on my system; which paramaters/settings do I have to change so it will work?

Are you asking about 3 x 2GB or 6 x 2GB?

@ wired: I don't think that you could say this generally, that the CPU is going to be damaged when I go higher than 1.65v. There are also users which exceed this limit and the CPU didn't damage

Wired's statement is accurate and is based on information directly from Intel. Many extreme users online have exceeded the 1.65v recommendation from Intel and their CPU and memory did not immediately get damaged. However, there is no long term data on this yet. Just because you can use more than 1.65v does not mean that you should. Therefore, we advise adhering to the Intel recommended voltage of 1.65v or less.

• Corsair Employees

The memory is not the issue, it's the Intel memory controller that has the 1.65v limit.

We do not sell a 6 x 2GB aka 12GB kit at this time. I personally have run 1600 with 6 x 2GB but, as it is not a tested configuration, there are no tested settings for this.

The Nehalem (i7) memory controller supports 1066Mhz DDR3 at default. Any other values of DRAM that are higher must be either set to XMP or manually set.

You can plug them in and they will work, but they will work at the default value of 1066Mhz.

ou sorry, i mean the 3x2 GB! Can I only Plug them in and that's it?

Ok, why did you choose to run the 12 GB instead of 6gb @ 2000Mhz?

• Corsair Employees
Ok, why did you choose to run the 12 GB instead of 6gb @ 2000Mhz?
We do not sell a 12GB kit of memory so, there was no need at this time to test 12GB at 2000mhz. Also, I have not yet seen anyone attempt to run 6 modules at 2000mhz but, I expect that the memory controller will not be capable of this speed running 6 up.

I still don't understand the desire to run 12gb, unless its "just because you can." There is no game on earth that will come close to touch 6bg, let alone 12. The only people I could see getting into that realm is video enthusiasts. 12gb for gamers is overkill and unnessary. I would save your money and I would do 6gb 2000, which is what I am going to do hopefully today if Corsair gets more of the GT2000 in stock.

Justin

PS For comparison, I am a crysis player. Running crysis maxed out with 4xaa on my machine with vista x64, my machine barely taps into the 2-3gb of memory usage range. Not sure what that other 9gb would do there except generate heat and burn dollars.

I can respect the "just be cause I can." I do that too sometimes. But, even though I can, I can't bring myself to spend a grand just on memory LOL. I am still upset that I wasted a grand on the i7 965 when it came out just to find out the 920 is just as good. :) I keep checking the site every few minutes. Come corsair! Put the GTs up. :)

Jusitn

• Corsair Employees
yes, i know, don't get me wrong; you sad that you personaly use 6x2GB @1600 Mhz. I just wondering why you decided to choose this opportunity instead of 3x2GB @2000mhz?!

What is more usefull for games? 6x2GB@1600 or 3x2GB @2000mhz?

PS: what's xmp?

regards

Please read AN811 for information on games and memory usage. http://www.corsair.com/appnotes/default.aspx

Please note the charts and screen shots the depict the amount of memory used.

XMP = Intel Xtreme Memory Profiles.

At the time I tested 12GB, we had not developed the 2000 kit. It was not available for me to test.

Archived