Corsair Community

Athlon xp +3000 333mhz and XMS3200CP2

bastien

Hello, I've been reading threads on this forum, and I've found out that many people experienced similar problems to mine. My current system: A7n8x Deluxe rev 1.04 latest bios Amd Athlon XP+3000 333mhz Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 My problem is, I cannot run both at 400FSB. My cpu overclocked by itself at 400FSB works fine and my DDR runs fine by themselves at 400FSB. I cannot run them in synch. If I set my cpu at 400FSB and my DDR at 83% to make it 166mhz x2, it works fine(stable and everything). I've tried different timings and voltages. No-go! :sigh!: I havent ran memtest yet, but i soon will. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This was taken from the Asus site. Starting from PCB version 2.0, The A7N8X motherboard supports Front Side Bus (FSB) 400. The PCB (Printed Circuit Board) version is located beside the motherboard name printed on the motherboard. PCB 2.0 BIOS version or later are not compatible with PCB 1.06 or earlier BIOS versions. Since the 1.04 MOBO really don't support a 400 FSB, There's a problem with trying to OC a CPU or RAM on that particular PCB, even with the latest BIOS. RAM GUY will have full details. I remember this being explained in another post.

Since the RAM runs at spec speeds, it's not at fault. However, if your CPU isn't unlocked, you're probably putting a pretty hefty OC on it when you jump to a 400FSB! You can try to lower the multiplier to 10.5 or so before you up the FSB that high and see if it helps. Also, increasing your DDR Voltage to 2.7x (don't exceed 2.8) can help since the chipset runs on the same voltage and would be helped along by it. The bottom line is what CMC said: That motherboard doesn't officially support a 400FSB and it sounds like you're having issues due to chipset limitations. PLUR CK

Thanks for the reply. I am 100% sure I can up my CPU FSB to 400FSB no problem. It was running fine before I got the corsair rams. I know a lot of people are having this problem. lets hope asus comes up with a new bios update. I think its the mobo messing up...

• Corsair Employees
If you have an unlocked CPU you might get it to run at 200MHz. However, AMD has locked most of the CPU recently so it may not. However, I would try and lower the multiplier to 9 or 10 and see if that makes any difference, In addition, you will want to set the memory Frequency to 100% as well as set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts!

Thanks for the reply. I bought a xp +3000 right when they came out so I am pretty sure mine is unlocked. I currently running at 180mhz in synch. Its Okay i'd say. i'd rather have it running at 200mhz both :/ I will try to set the multiplier to 9 or 10, but then what would be the point of increasing the FSB to 200 if I can only use the multipliers 9 and 10. 200x9 = 1800mhz and 200x10 = 2000 mhz lol I am currently running at 180x12.5 = 2255.2mhz FSB360 temp= 44C My Vdimm is already of 2.7 and I've tried setting the memory on auto, spd, and 100%. It never works if my cpu is at 200x11. I've downgraded my bios to 1006. I was running at 400FSB in synch. with my agp locked at 66% and my desktop was kind of messed up, then it rebooted by itself. Do you think i should up the volts to 1.8 insead of 1.650 ?

• Corsair Employees
I would try the system at 200 X 9 with the memory set to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and then work your way up from there and see if it will pass [url]www.memtest86.com[/url]

• Corsair Employees
Let me put it this way, if a memory IC were failing you would see errors consistently no matter what frequency the memory is running at. The errors you have posted suggest the CPU or MB. So before we RMA the memory I would encourage you to test them in another system if at all possible, as that would really help to isolate the memory from your system and then we would know for sure!

After running for 1 hour, my computer rebooted :/ I was running at 180x12.5 :/ I went back to 166x13 = xp +3000 I'll mess with it later. I've also tested the DDR in another system that has exactly the same hardware as me. Same problems.

I've ran Memtest successfully at 166x2 = XP+3000 and 200mhz DDR. I guess the RAMs work as they are supposed to. I dunno what I should do :/ I've overclocked my cpu up to xp 3200 before I dont see a reason why it wouldnt work :/ I am also going to invest into a water cooling system because I do plan on overclocking my system. I've changed the FSB and multiplier gradually up to 185mhz. It was fine for couple hours than my system rebooted as I was browsing a website. I am currently running my system at 166x2 and 166mhz ddr(asynch), waiting for asus to come up with a solution. Ramguy, what do you suggest? Thanks

[quote name='RAM GUY']You might try Bios 1.006 and see if that makes any difference.[/QUOTE] Do you know by experience if upgrading to 1.006 is gonna make a diff? Do you actually know people for whom this bios worked? Because I heard flashing the bios too many times can corrupt it etc.. I've also read the 1004 bios is the best overclocker :/ Bah I guess i'll try that bios version anyway. Thanks..

[quote name='RAM GUY']Yes! Myself! I have 2 of these MB running at my home and both are over clocked![/QUOTE] Ok, I will try this version right now. with 200 FSB and 100% for DDR. Also should i get teh uber bios 1006 or just the regular bios?

I've experienced the same problems you've mentioned. The symptoms sound identical. Short story: Still having difficulty, currently trying Asus tech support. Long Story: A7n8x-x r2.0 bios 1007 with 2 sticks of KVR Cas 3 512. Could get 1 to run at 400 but not both. Tried underclocking FSB. I got it up to 185 Mhz before it became unstable but both sticks would run that way. I contacted tech support from Asus & Kingston, both say that since the sticks aren't certified for the board they can't do anything for me. So, I spend $300 for 2 Corsair CMX5123200C2x512 sticks. I've still got the same problem. 1 stick (either) runs fine in any slot with aggressive settings but I insert a second and it's unstable as heck. I'm thinking it's definitely a mobo problem... granted I have a -x version of the board. I'm glad I didn't buy the deluxe to solve my problem. The only difference I noticed between the KVR and CMX RAM is that the CMX with both sticks in allows Windows to boot and use basic applications (sometimes) when RAM's at 400Mhz. I'm intensely interested in any solutions you find for this problem.

Well, I ordered a chipset northbridge cooler, the thermaltake extreme spirit one. In fact, I've read somewhere that the chipsets on a7n8x were overheating very easily when overclock due to the poor aluminum heatsink. Bah I guess $15 could be the key :)

I think, heat is one big problem. I have a a7n8x rev 1.04 too and had the same problems. When cooling the board with a hair dryer (set to cool) the system did work kind of stable, yet not optimal. There seems to be a problem with the ram-slots too. I checked each Corsair-Stick in each slot and only in the slot next to the cpu memtest worked without errors. Raising the CPU voltage slightly helped a little bit too. Kind of a weird board. My solution: I bougt a Abit AN7 ;-) Martin

Archived