Corsair Community

Voltage setting 2.1V necessary?

rumpelzwo

While searching for bigger and faster memory, I came across the 2.1V setting.

My mainboard's standard is 1.8V. The memory I used before (TWIN2X2048-6400C4) was also 2.1V, but I never changed the standard voltage settings (as I did not know about the need for it).

I never experienced problems with that lower voltage, so should I increase the voltage? Is there any performance improvement or would that just increase the temperature inside my PC?

The BIOS warns me in red that +0.3V could decrease memory's life time, so I am not sure if that is really necessary...

I suppose you do not HAVE to set the voltage up. Sometimes the memory works at a lower voltage. This memory is designed to work at 2.1 volts, though. My Gigabyte board gives me the same warning. I did set my initial volt setting to 2.1, then reduced it after I ran it a few weeks and saw that it was stable. I'm now running 2.0 volts and could probably go lower. I see no need to reduce it, so I'll leave it where it is.

• Corsair Employee
If it is stable at a lower voltage, it is certainly beneficial to run the lower voltage due to less heat, etc. There is no performance gained by adding only voltage so stable at 1.8v is the same performance as stable at 2.1v, assuming all other factors are equal.

All right... thanks!

It was my opinion before that there is no reason to add voltage as long as the system runs stable. I became uncertain as people told me to set that voltage anyway, they refered to the specification on the label. I just wanted to check...

I think I will run the latest memtest to be sure the new sticks work fine at lower voltage under high stress...

Post the CPU-z and let's see what you are set at.

All right... thanks!

It was my opinion before that there is no reason to add voltage as long as the system runs stable. I became uncertain as people told me to set that voltage anyway, they refered to the specification on the label. I just wanted to check...

I think I will run the latest memtest to be sure the new sticks work fine at lower voltage under high stress...

• Corsair Employee
All right... thanks!

Memtest is a good pretest before booting to the OS. However, it is not overly stressful so you'll need to do some heavy tasking in the OS to make sure you are stable.

Archived