Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5 on M3N-HT Deluxe

Drakos

It has been 2 sleepless nights now trying to get my config going on my new build. I am now running Vista 64-bit Ultimate and used XP-64 Bit Professional previously. The mother board is good but is very picky. I ran the 5-5-5-15T specs as stated for running 1066MHz. The Computer is overclocked @ 3.62 Ghz on a Pheron II X4 940 Black Box Edition Processor. No matter what I do, I cannot boot into Vista using the tested specs for this ram. I am running 8 gigs total with 4x2gig sticks. I can boot into Vista if I just leave the memory settings on default. It results in a 800 Mhz setting and horrible timings. Now that I am loaded into Vista, I decided to run 3DMark Vantage to test my new gear. I am also using 2x EVGA GTX 280 Superclocked in SLI. About 1/2 way into the first test, the computer froze!! I rebooted, ran the test again and it did the same thing. I changed all settings to default in the bios, ran the test again and it still froze. I disabled SLI and I was able to complete all tests. I ran each card separately and they both work fine. I tried the bridge on and off and the computer would still crash if in SLI mode. I also made sure that hardware performance was set to single display. I have done a lot of reading and many people say that 8GB's in Vista-64 bit is asking for trouble. Especially if overclocking. Is this true? Should I just stick with maybe 4x 1GB sticks instead? Your help and input is truely appreciated. I look forward to when I can get some sleep again :laughing:

Drakos

They're only guaranteed at those speeds when run one pair at a time, as they haven't tested your 2 pairs together. 4 sticks maxes out the memory controller, so it's recommended to drop the speed down a notch.

8 GB will run just fine on Windows Vista (64 bit).

Thanks for the info. I tried 2 sticks in SLI and it now boots into Vista at printed specs. Now the video cards will not run properly in SLI. I tested both cards individually and they are fine. Do you think that the Dominator series memory would be better for my computer? My dealer would exchange them for me. I am now thinking that the ram I am using may not be up to spec for my machine and settings.

Thanks

SLi in Memory and SLi in Video cards are two entirely separate technologies and do not (at all) apply to each other. Setting to SLI-ready memory or not will not effect SLi in the video cards.

SLi in memory is not important, it just sets to a two DRAM configuration and inserts the proper settings for that kit. You have two kits, so just disable the SLi configuration, set the values manually for a four DRAM slot population and test.

Download Memtest version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from-->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Shut the system down. Insert a single stick in the first DRAM slot (Closest to the CPU). Restart, enter BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and enter these values:

AdvancedJumperFree ConfigurationMemory Voltage = 2.1vNB Chips Voltage = 1.4vDRAM ConfigurationMemory Clock Frequency = DDR2 800Tcl  = 5tRCD = 5tRP = 5tRAS = 151T/2T Memory Timing = 2TMemory DCT Mode = UngangedMemory Hole Remapping = EnabledCPU ConfigurationAMD Virtualization = EnabledSLi Ready Memory = DisabledCLI-Ready Memory CPUOC = DisabledAMD Cool 'n' Quiet Function = DisabledTLB Fix = AutoCPU Instruction Fetch = AutoProcessor Downcore = Disabled

Shut the system down. Insert a stick in slot two, three and four and boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. If Stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Derek, thank you very much for your help on the forum. I have decided to go with 2 x 2gb sticks of Dominators which the dealer was very nice to go through distribution and found me a set of v1.1's which I believe used the Micron D9's. Anyhow, the system seems to run excellent right now. I just need to know how to set up my bios. Here is a summary so far:

cpu voltage = 5.125

fsb = 201

multiplier = 18

CPU-NV volts = 1.45

NB Voltage = 1.3

DRAM Configuration

Memory Voltage = 2.1

Memory Clock Frequency = DDR2 1066

Tcl = 5

tRCD = 5

tRP = 5

tRAS = 15

1T/2T Memory Timing = 2T

Memory DCT Mode = ganged

Memory Hole Remapping = Enabled

CPU Configuration

AMD Virtualization = Enabled

SLi Ready Memory = Enabled

CLI-Ready Memory CPUOC = Disabled

AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Function = Disabled

TLB Fix = Disabled

CPU Instruction Fetch = Auto

Processor Downcore = Disabled

The main thing I am really unsure about is the TLB Fix. I though this was a patch for earlier revisions of the Phenom and not for the Phenom II. I read somewhere that with this enabled, performance of the CPU dropped as much as 25%. Is this true? I really don't know what this is.

Thanks again Derek for your help,

Allan

• Corsair Employees
Derek, thank you very much for your help on the forum. I have decided to go with 2 x 2gb sticks of Dominators which the dealer was very nice to go through distribution and found me a set of v1.1's

I am sorry but you are making the wrong assumption here, only the Twin2x2048-8500C5XX was made with Micro D9 IC the Micron D9 IC is a 64 M x 8 IC so you cannot make a module larger than 1.0 Gig in density.

Revision 1.X will still be a Micron IC but with 2.0 Gig modules it is not the D9 that you think it is.

And with 4 modules DDR6677 or DDR800 would be suggested.

Archived