Corsair Community

M2N32-SLI Deluxe and TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF

devilfish

I built a system for someone that has been working for over 2 years. It developed a fault recently that I concluded was down to a fault with one of the DIMMs. This was one of a matched pair TWIN2X1024-6400C4 (2 x 1 Gb). Decided to purchase a new set giving a little extra memory, a set of TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF (2 x 2 Gb). Using the recommended settings have been able to get each of the DIMMs to work on it’s own with no faults appearing on MemTest86+. When the 2nd DIMM is fitted, so using dual channel, I get a few errors in test 7. Have tried a range of settings all around those listed, but the best result was using 2.15 V, that gives around 6 faults every full test cycle.

The only thing I have yet to try is loading up a revised BIOS version, presently running version 0406 dated 29/5/06. But changing the BIOS firmware with unproven memory always comes with risks.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Motherboard make and model: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, BIOS settings for memory:-

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

OC Operation: Disabled

NOS Operation: Disabled

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 268 MHz

PCI CLK1: Auto

PCI CLK2: Auto

DDR2 Voltage control: 2.100V set for 1 DIMM (2.150V set for 2 DIMMs) Memory is listed as 2.1V

CPU Core Voltage: Auto

CPU Multiplier: 10

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

1T/2T: 2T

A1 Clock Skew: Auto

Advanced voltage control

CPU Vcore offset:_Disabled

DDR2 Termination: 0.5x

CPU to NB HT:____1.200V

NB to SB HT:_____AUTO

NB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO

SB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO

SB Standby core:_+1.500V

Output driver control

CKE:______AUTO

CS/ODT:__1.00X

ADD/CMD:_1.00X

MEMCLK:__1.00X

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

System

Proc: AMD Athlon 64 5200

M/B: M2N32-SLI Delux rev 1.03G (BIOS ver 0406)

PSU: Antec TrueControl II 550

Graphics: ASUS 8800GTS 512MB

H/D: WD Raptor 2x150Gb

Misc: SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music

O/S: Windows XP, 32 bit

Reply to Ram Guy. Have tried disabling the USB legacy settings, and on it's first MemTest cycle it's still giving out a couple of errors with 2.15V.

So it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and load up the later BIOS. Will take me a while to give that one a go.

Your processors memory controller does not support 1066Mhz Memory.

Download Memtest Version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Insert a single stick of DRAM in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU). Enter your BIOS, Load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults and set to these values:

Advanced

JumperFree Configuration

AI Tuning = Manual
Overclock Options = Disabled
NOS Options = Disabled
CPU Frequency = 200MHz
CPU Multiplier = 13

CPU Configuration 

SLI-Ready Memory = Disabled
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Function = Disabled
AMD Live! = Disabled

DRAM Configuration

Memory Clock Frequency = DDR2 800
Tcl = 5
Trcd = 5
Trp = 5
Tras = 15
1T/2T Memory Timing = 2T

Set the Advanced Memory settings to Auto

Advanced Voltage Control

DDR2 Voltage Control = 2.1v

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU Vcore Offset Voltage = Disabled
DDR2 Termination Voltage = 0.5 x DDR2 Voltage
CPU to NB HT Voltage = 1.20v
NB to SB HT Voltage = 1.325v
NB Core/PCI-E Voltage = 1.25v
SB Core/PCI-E Voltage = 1.50v
SB Standby Core Voltage = 1.50v
Chipset Core Voltage: 1.35v

USB Legacy Mode = Disabled for Memtest, Enabled Afterwards. 

Boot to the memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Shut the system down and remove the stick from slot 1 and insert the second stick. Retest. Shut the system down, insert one stick in slot 1 and one stick in slot 3 and retest. If stable, enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Post a screenshot of both SPD modules (using the SPD drop down box).

DerekT thanks, you’ve pointed me in the right direction.

I think where I went wrong was relying too much on the Corsair recommended settings without really thinking about what they meant. So I guess the problem was as you pointed out, the inability of the Processor to handle the 268 MHz and x10 multiplier = 2680 MHz that equates to 5360 MHz. Whereas this should have been 200 MHz x 13 = 2600 MHz equates to 5200 MHz.

I’ve only done a quick MemTest so far with both DIMMs inserted, and it looks promising. I need to do a bit more testing to confirm the settings though. It’ll take a while before I can print the info’ you asked for. I was already using MemTest v2.11 using a bootable floppy.

I have a couple of questions I’m hoping you can answer.

1. I couldn’t find any voltage setting for the Chipset Core Voltage: 1.35v. This might be because I don’t have the latest BIOS loaded, or I’ve just missed it. The obvious place would have been in the Advanced Voltage Control, but it’s not present. Can you tell me whereabouts of this parameter?

2. When building PCs for friends, colleagues and myself one thing I always have trouble finding is the exact meaning of some of the motherboard BIOS parameters. The manuals can be a little sparse and cryptic on these details and the manufacturer doesn’t seem interesting is providing sufficient explanation. You’ve obviously spent more time around these things than me, as you know the exact parameters for things such as:

NB to SB HT Voltage = 1.325v etc

Is there somewhere that details what these are and what affect it has, along with any other BIOS parameter? Or is it another one of those things that only comes with a lot of time and patience getting snippets of information from various sources?

I tend to build/repair a different PC each month, and each with a different M/B. So reference info’ would come in useful. I’m not really in to overclocking, but experimenting with various BIOS parameters can give greater insight. I’ve just got limited time to play we these things.

1. I couldn’t find any voltage setting for the Chipset Core Voltage: 1.35v. This might be because I don’t have the latest BIOS loaded, or I’ve just missed it. The obvious place would have been in the Advanced Voltage Control, but it’s not present. Can you tell me whereabouts of this parameter?

NB to SB HT Voltage = 1.325v will be the value that will take its place.

2. When building PCs for friends, colleagues and myself one thing I always have trouble finding is the exact meaning of some of the motherboard BIOS parameters. The manuals can be a little sparse and cryptic on these details and the manufacturer doesn’t seem interesting is providing sufficient explanation. You’ve obviously spent more time around these things than me, as you know the exact parameters for things such as:

NB to SB HT Voltage = 1.325v etc

Is there somewhere that details what these are and what affect it has, along with any other BIOS parameter? Or is it another one of those things that only comes with a lot of time and patience getting snippets of information from various sources?

I tend to build/repair a different PC each month, and each with a different M/B. So reference info’ would come in useful. I’m not really in to overclocking, but experimenting with various BIOS parameters can give greater insight. I’ve just got limited time to play we these things.

I would just use Google. You will find all you need to know and reference research with Google. AMD does not use a true FSB since they have the memory controller built on the CPU die. They use an HT (Hyper Transport) protocol for data streaming instead. So the data stream from the CPU to the Northbridge (NB) and the Northbridge to Southbridge (SB) is the streaming of data to the NB<-->SB. The voltages given are default, but I tend to use the default voltages entered rather than set to Auto when faults occur.

You can always post in the enthusiast section if you have issues.

DerekT, thanks for the answers. As I thought it does take a little time and patience to find the M/B references.

Have now completed some further testing, and the system is now stable. MemTest with both 8500C5D DIMMs, using slots A1 and B1 (both yellow), so in dual channel mode, 3 test cycles all pass no errors.

The parameters that made the most difference was the CPU external clock and multiplier. Adjusting some of the other parameters does not appear to make any significant difference, but shall keep them on record for future reference just in case. The setting I am now using are:-

Motherboard make and model: Asus M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

OC Operation: Disabled

NOS Operation: Disabled

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200 MHz

PCI CLK1: Auto

PCI CLK2: Auto

DDR2 Voltage control: 2.100V

CPU Core Voltage: Auto

CPU Multiplier: 13

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

1T/2T: 2T

A1 Clock Skew: Auto

Advanced voltage control

CPU Vcore offset: Disabled

DDR2 Termination: 0.5x

CPU to NB HT voltage: 1.200V

NB to SB HT voltage: AUTO (NB could set this to to 1.325V if needed)

NB Core/PCI-E voltage: AUTO

SB Core/PCI-E voltage: AUTO

SB Standby core voltage: +1.500V

Output driver control: all Auto

Other misc settings DerekT listed previously, presently set to:

SLI-Ready Memory = Optimal

AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Function = Auto

AMD Live! = Disabled

Advanced Memory settings = Auto

USB Legacy Mode = Disabled for Memtest, Enabled Afterwards

I've enclosed the CPU-z results in the attached zip file.

Thanks again

CPUz_results.zip

Archived