Corsair Community

question

nemezote

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here, so bear with me if I screw up someplace.

I own a Rampage Formula, and I plan to get a TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF (2 sticks) module, and then, later on, add another one, in order to have 8 GBs of RAM.

From what ive read on these forums, in order to get the sticks working I have to manually set the timings(2n or 2t) , voltage and frequency.

But I was wondering if there would be any problems in getting 8 GB of ram to work.

Also, an idea, If I buy the sticks with the fan included, will 1 fan module cover the 4 RAM slots, or will I need another fan?

Thanks in advance.

It's never advised to mix and match different versions. The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules and do not expect even then that they will work and again, no support unless you purchase a quad kit.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) or On CPU (AMD) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. This can result in a damaged memory controller and can result in non working memory slots.

So, for a four DRAM slot population of 1066Mhz DRAM you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v.

Thanks for the complex and informative answer, I really appreciate it.

But, as any good answer does, it has raised some new questions.

First of all, what would you say are the chances of 2 pairs of 2 sticks working correctly as 8GBs? 50/50? a little more? 70%? 90%?

And finally, im just curious, but, does having 8 GB of RAM make a justifiable difference right now? Or should I just wait untill DDR3 gets cheap enough for my pocket?

Thanks a lot.

PS: Will one fan of the dominator kit cover all 4 slots? or just 2?

Thanks for the complex and informative answer, I really appreciate it.

But, as any good answer does, it has raised some new questions.

First of all, what would you say are the chances of 2 pairs of 2 sticks working correctly as 8GBs? 50/50? a little more? 70%? 90%?

It depends on the versions and the motherboard. I've got one upstairs. P5K-Premium with 4 X 2048 of 8500C5 version 4.xx running at 1000Mhz on the DRAM and 500FSB X 8 = 4.0Ghz. With your board, the chance is ~90%. You may have to lower the speed of the DRAM somewhat but populating all four slots should work.

And finally, im just curious, but, does having 8 GB of RAM make a justifiable difference right now? Or should I just wait untill DDR3 gets cheap enough for my pocket?

I use this machine for virtualization and programming/database work. These programs use quite a bit of memory and the 8GB is useful. My gaming machine has 4GB and this is the machine I use a good eighty percent of the time. It is more than gaming, but it games like crazy.

I'm also playing around with an i7 with 6GB of DDR3. With gaming, I see no difference in memory use between it and the 4GB machine. So, there is a point of diminishing returns for the average user and 4GB is pretty much that point imho.

Will one fan of the dominator kit cover all 4 slots? or just 2?

It sure will cover all four slots.

Thanks a lot for your answers, im a newbie to the "do it yourself" computer world and this kind of sincere help is just what I need.

Ill let you know how it went down as soon as I have all the hardware I need, right now, im saving for the Video Card, RAM, and CPU Cooler. Im just a few bucks away though...I can hardly wait.

The system isnt up and running yet.

When it does I plan to take the CPU to 3.4, or 3.6 mhz.

Video Card and Ram will be left alone.

I have no idea how to OC a CPU but I figure Ill cross that bridge when I get to it.

I hope it answers your question, I didnt really know what you meant by FSB.

Archived