Corsair Community

tx650W too hot to touch

lejneb

i bought a tx650 watt yesterday to power my gf9800 gtx, and its up and running and working great, but the side of the case if off at the moment, and the psu is really hot, a lot hotter than the old nobrand psu i had before this. im just wondering if this is normal or perhaps a faulty psu?

thanks.

• Corsair Employee
Can you look at the fan and make sure it is turning. Also, does the fan speed change when you go from an idle state to extended heavy usage? Also, is this temp you reported while the system is at idle or during heavy usage?

At the moment the pc has been idle for an hour or 2, and the psu is still warm, like the screen of a flatscreen telly (trying to gauge it right). but when i was using it heavily last night it was getting to the point where the psu was verging on too hot to touch.

The fan is spinning cant really tell whether its speeding up or slowing down under different loads with the noise of the other 3 fans, unless there's a program that tells you or something?

the 8 pin power cable (for the cpu?) splits in 2, and my mobo takes a 4 pin, does it matter which one?, as both fit into the motherboard, and the manual says 'insert the correct one' but doesn't state which the correct one is :E

• Corsair Employee
the 8 pin power cable (for the cpu?) splits in 2, and my mobo takes a 4 pin, does it matter which one?, as both fit into the motherboard, and the manual says 'insert the correct one' but doesn't state which the correct one is :E

Both cables should work just fine, although in some motherboards with only a 4-pin connector, only one side may fit. If it looks like its hotter than it should be, then we can try replacing it for you. You may want to hook it up to a different system just to make sure you have the same issues, otherwise lets get it replaced.

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

the error has only happened once, tho im not sure if the cards performance was even reduced like it said it was, have just played oblivion there for 30mins or so with pc under some load, psu is now very hot to touch after just 30mins :(, tho so far everything is running ok, and from a few read ups the graphics getting low is either rails flucuating or a graphics driver problem.

its just very worrying to have a psu so hot, compared to a previous no brand one :(

• Corsair Employee
If the PSU has malfunctioned, then you will have very consistent and repeatable errors or problems. In this case, other than the temperature of the PSU, I would suspect the unit is fully functional and at no risk of damaging other components or causing any problems. However if the PSU is as hot as you say it is, then we can definitely replace the unit for you.

Archived