Corsair Community

Possible HX1000 Death

Weber

So earlier today I was going to replace my DVD drive as it no longer wanted to recognize my cds. I have an Antec Sonata III case so i took one of the front plates off so i could get the mounts to screw to the new drive. i screwed the mounts to the new drive and as i went to approach the computer before touching it, it turned on for about 15 seconds by itself then turned off. and now when I turn the power on nothing happens. if i turn the PSU off at the switch and then turn it back on, when i hit the power button, the CPU fan comes on for less than a second then turns off, it's the only thing that shows any life other that i motherboard light being on. the CPU fan will only do it's thing the first time i hit the button after turning the PSU on/off. i've tried leaving it unplugged for a few hours and unplugging different components to trouble shoot to no avail. However when i use my old Antec Eathwatts 500w PSU, it boots up fine (Although the Antec can't power my GTX295) so i'll have to try my 8800gt. which i'm sure will work considering that the HX1000 plugged into the same things as the Antec cannot power up while the antec does. So i was wondering if anybody could give me some support on anything i could do or information on what to do if i decide to RMA. the hx1000 was bought about a month ago.

Thanks, Ben

• Corsair Employees

First, I would try this basic PSU functionality test and see if the PSU does the same thing when its not connected to the motherboard. If you get the same problems with the unit restarting on its own then lets get it replaced. You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

If the PSU turns on and stays on, then there may be a short or a grounding issue with the system that your other PSU is not picking up. If this is the case, then I would disconnect power from every component that you do not need in order to boot up and enter the BIOS. I would leave 1 memory module, the motherboard, video card, CPU and PSU. Disconnect everything else from the board and try again. If the issues go away then reconnect your components one at a time to see which one might be causing the short.

If even with a reduced hardware config you still have the same issues, then I would remove the board and the PSU from the case and bench test it that way.

Also, if you have the option, you may want to test the PSU in a different system to see if you can duplicate the same issues.

• 1 month later...
So earlier today I was going to replace my DVD drive as it no longer wanted to recognize my cds. I have an Antec Sonata III case so i took one of the front plates off so i could get the mounts to screw to the new drive. i screwed the mounts to the new drive and as i went to approach the computer before touching it, it turned on for about 15 seconds by itself then turned off. and now when I turn the power on nothing happens. if i turn the PSU off at the switch and then turn it back on, when i hit the power button, the CPU fan comes on for less than a second then turns off, it's the only thing that shows any life other that i motherboard light being on. the CPU fan will only do it's thing the first time i hit the button after turning the PSU on/off. i've tried leaving it unplugged for a few hours and unplugging different components to trouble shoot to no avail. However when i use my old Antec Eathwatts 500w PSU, it boots up fine (Although the Antec can't power my GTX295) so i'll have to try my 8800gt. which i'm sure will work considering that the HX1000 plugged into the same things as the Antec cannot power up while the antec does. So i was wondering if anybody could give me some support on anything i could do or information on what to do if i decide to RMA. the hx1000 was bought about a month ago.

Thanks, Ben

so did you figure out your problem, im having the same issues

Archived