Corsair Community

Corsair Psu with optiplex gx620

djlunitik

hey guys

i have an optiplex gx620 mini tower

my dell default psu is 300w and i want to exchange it to at least 400w for my nvida 9600gt

i was wonder if VX 450W Active PFC 12cm Fan will fit or do i need a special power supply that will fit with dell...

thanks for you help

Here are the dimensions of the VX450 PSU:

The PSU in the optiplex is

Physical

Height

41.4 cm (16.3 inches)

Width

18.5 cm (7.3 inches)

Depth

43.9 cm (17.3 inches)

Weight

12.34 kg (27.2 lb)

for some reason they use the "Depth" measurement ... i assume is the same as length :laughing:

it looks like the crosair is a bit smaller so i guess it will fit... thoughts?

hey guys

i bought the corsair vx450w

but i have a problem

i as i said before i got a optiplex gx620

i connected power supply and everything.

i got a 24pin on the mother board and another 4 pin thingie i think its the 12v.

on the power supply it self it comes with two 4 pins sets .

i choose one and connected but for some reason the motherboard does not get another power...help anyone

Did you turn on the switch on the power supply ?

yes i did :)

the thing is that the 24pin give power to the video card but the 4 pin does not give power to the cpu.

i tried to connect the old psu to see if the everything is working and it did work with the psu.

i isolated the problem and found out that the 4 pin thingie the 12v does not give power to the cpu at all but the video card is up and running ...

so any help ? maybe the +12v is not working ? i tried them both

nope ,

i have the optiplex gx620 and a laptop

someone here told me that it should work.

i divided the problem and found out that the 12v is not giving enough power to the motherboard unlike my old psu who works fine...

i got 2 12v 4 pins cables but i got only 1 place to connect 1 of them on the mb.

could it be that the corsair psu needs me to connect them both ?

No, the power supply doesn't require that more than one connector be used on a board that only needs one.

It could be a voltage issue, doesn't sound like you would have a couple of 12v fans laying around to hook up and give it a shot, though.

I do know that Corsairs work in Dells though, I have put an HX 520 in an I530 and an HX 620 in an XPS 410, your issue has me stumped.

No, the power supply doesn't require that more than one connector be used on a board that only needs one.

It could be a voltage issue, doesn't sound like you would have a couple of 12v fans laying around to hook up and give it a shot, though.

I do know that Corsairs work in Dells though, I have put an HX 520 in an I530 and an HX 620 in an XPS 410, your issue has me stumped.

the old cpu used only one 12v on the motherboard

i got the cpu fan and another fan besides it... but only 1 connector on the motherboard...

could it be that the dual 12v 4 pins thingie is messed up?

the wierdest thing is that the 12v gives a bit of power to the motherboard since if i disconnect it only the gpu fan works but if i connect the fan near the cpu works but not the cpu fan... seems like not enough power

the old cpu used only one 12v on the motherboard

i got the cpu fan and another fan besides it... but only 1 connector on the motherboard...

could it be that the dual 12v 4 pins thingie is messed up?

the wierdest thing is that the 12v gives a bit of power to the motherboard since if i disconnect it only the gpu fan works but if i connect the fan near the cpu works but not the cpu fan... seems like not enough power

You're really confusing me.

Did you upgrade the cpu ?

Yes only one fan connector on the board, you would need a fan with a Molex connector to connect to the psu.

This needs to be a little more clear;

"but if i connect the fan near the cpu works but not the cpu fan"

Leave the system fan plugged in, plug in the 4 pin ATX connector from the power supply, plug in the 24 pin main connector, push the power button and let me know the condition of the power led.

ohh sorry i did not mean to confuse you.

what i ment is that besides the cpufan there is another big fan but its connected to the motherboard via a tiny wire ...

all i got is 1 place for the 12v and as i said before the led is yellow... and the fans are operating but on very low speed... like it has no power... and the cpu does not start even...

using the Dell trouble shooting :

If the power light is blinking amber —

The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).

Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

ohh sorry i did not mean to confuse you.

what i ment is that besides the cpufan there is another big fan but its connected to the motherboard via a tiny wire ...

What's confusing me is that there is only one fan in the box, right in front of the heatsink, unless you added another, in which case it would need to be connected directly to the psu.

Since you're getting the amber light and have no way of testing the psu in another machine you should look to return it.

• Corsair Employees

We can try replacing the unit for you, however I would recommend that you contact Dell and make sure that your exact system will support an aftermarket PSU designed to run with the ATX12v 2.01 spec. Many Dells use proprietary PSUs, or they may use PSUs designed to meet older specs (such as ATX12v 1.3). If Dell can tell you that a newer PSU should work with the system then lets get it replaced.

Does the PSU turn on and stay on when you boot it up and you just get nothing on the screen, or does it turn on and then turn itself back off? If the PSU is either turning on and then right back off, or if the PSU does not turn on at all when hooked up to the system, then you can try this basic functionality test to see if the unit can power up on its own.

If all else fails, then you can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived