Corsair Community

Clueless or maybe jus stuck on stupid

Hi,

I'd like to get some idea of a baseline to overclock the system. I've seen reports of this processor being oc to over 4.0 gigs on air yet mine won't get outta it's own way.

I can't get any more fsb speed than 23 points higher oc than the stock 200 speed. This is because I have never seen the tweaker system that the asus mobo uses to set the values to run/oc the system...I'm clueless and hoping you may be able to help with a baseline.

TIA

You have a hybrid DDR2/DDR3 board and as such can be somewhat problematic with overclocks. As well, you need a 400Mhz FSB to make 1600Mhz on the DRAM and that's not all that easy with the E5200 which runs with a stock 200Mhz FSB. That's a 100% bus overclock. Lets start with a FSB overclock to see if you can make 400FSB stable. 400 X 6 = 2.4Ghz.

Download Memtest Version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS, Load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 6
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
FSB Frequency = 400
PCI-E Frequency = 100
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1600
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
CAS# Latency =  9
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# PRE Time = 9
RAS# ACT Time = 24
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 80 
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Auto
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Auto
DRAM Read Training = Auto
DRAM Write Training = Auto
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
Ai Clock Twister = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto

CPU Voltage = 1.40v
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 1.8v
NB Voltage = 1.35v
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Load Line Calibration = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto
CPU Clock Skew = Auto
NB Clock Skew = Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement = Optimized

Memory Remap - Enabled

Legacy USB = Disabled (For Memtest, Enabled After Memtest)

Run Memtest for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

If it passes memtest, then the issues are external to the DRAM. You may have an issue with a corrupted system and/or overclock issues. However, be clear, the MCH is a hybrid and as such can issue errors that won't be found either in Prime95 or Memtest.

It looks to me that your system will not take the 400Mhz FSB and that is necessary for 1600Mhz Memory.

I've found the P5K-Premium motherboard to be phenomenal. I don't know if you can find one anymore though.

I like the Premium series of Asus boards. However, it is not that many e5200's that will make a 400Mhz FSB if any. They have a 12.5 multiplier and the ones that are making 4.0Ghz are very likely making it with a higher multi and lower fsb.

for example:

320 X 12.5 = 4.0Ghz

333 X 12 = 4.0Ghz

363 X 11 = 4.0Ghz

see?

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/386852-hardspell-e5200-oc-4g-vcore-1-a.html

none of these will make the 1600Mhz for DDR3. You need a better CPU for that.

No, you misunderstand me. I am saying that your purchase of 1600Mhz DRAM and an E5200 is NOT a good marriage. You need a processor that can make a minimum of 400Mhz FSB to get to 1600Mhz on the RAM.

That CPU won't do it.

I also told you that I find the premium versions of ASUS to be great boards. So, P5Q Premium is a great board. But, you still have the CPU issue.

Did you read that link? And you don't need to get vulgar with me. I will just bow out of this thread if you do.

so ya tellin me I got crap for memory and you're recommending a mobo that is outdated and no longer available...what good does that do me

Archived