Corsair Community

Performance...

Recently I've become concerned with the fact that my pc is underperforming(im sure everyone thinks this, but bear with me). Im running an AMD Athlon XP 2700+ on an Asus A7N8X2.0 motherboard, Windows XP Home Edition with a GeForce FX 5200(128mb) and 512mb RAM with Direct X 9b While in most cases the system seems to run well, Im sure it should be faster: the frame rate in Deus Ex 2, for example,is abbysmal, even running at 640*480, and even older games such as Neverwinter Nights seem to run slowly at the highest graphics settings. My graphics drivers are up to date, and Im currently running on aggressive memory settings (in this case 7,3,3,2.5T with 100% mem freq. at 166mhz), not that there's any noticable performance increase over optimal settings. The one thing I am concerned with is my moniter - its an old Compaq Presario MV500 which I got years ago with a package computer and only runs at 60hertz, could that be slowing the rest of the system down so much? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated as always,thanks a lot AcidWoRm

Have you bench marked with 3D Mark 2001 or 03? Do you have a soundcard with the latest drivers? An old monitor might not be visually appealing but really would'nt affect overall system performance. Double check all drivers, including chipset. It's hard to give an opinion with no bench results.

Okay, I ran two tests with 3D Mark 2001. Both used D3D Pure Hardware T&L. The first: 1)1024*768 at 32bit colour no anti-aliasing double buffered compressed texture 16bit z buffer =>for that I got a rather low score of 5271 points.. 2)640*480 16bit no anti-aliasing double buffered 16bit texture and z buffer =>this time 9329 points. Soundcard wise i have a NVidia nForce Audio card, i havent updated the drivers for that, would soundcard drivers make an impact? Thanks again

I cant find the manufacturer but ive got 2 sticks of 256mb DDR 333. If its any use the serial number appears to be 334m35m11702399/334m35m11702438t5y0244927...whatever the hell that means. The audio card is onboard, but again I dont see why that would make a difference - its not a bad card. Obviously the FX5200 isnt the fastest graphics card going, but i still think my test results are way too low for the hardware ive got.Im sure my bios has all the correct data,and ive played around majorly with my graphics settings in windows (with the nVidia tools). I dont fancy upgrading anything as i dont think i really need to.

• 2 weeks later...
[B]GeForce FX 5200(128mb)[/B] - problem 1 [B]The audio card is onboard[/B] - problem 2 Problem 1 - yes it's a poor card, even on a P4 you'll struggle in anything shader/effect intensive. You are better off swapping/selling for a Geforce 4200 ti (about £50 i think now). This will impact your framerates also. If you can't afford to change, get coolbits and clock the card a little to see what improvement you get. Problem 2 - onboard sound carries an inherent CPU overhead at the moment. To check this, play a wav/midi file and sit and watch task manager - you may find that it's up to 10% cpu utilisation. Again, get yourself a Soundblaster 5.1 Live at about £15/20. Also i see you are Nforce 2 - are you running dual channel ram (slots 1/3 or slots 2/3)? This normally gives 5-10% bandwith increase. Good luck and hth

Archived