Corsair Community

Similar issue but....

DVitamin

With just these devices, I'm attempting to POST the machine with 4GBs. In order for me to just POST with one GB, I have to install a non-dominator DDR2 memory stick into the machine. From there, I set the timings to the timings on the memory stick itself (5-5-5-18) and the Memory Voltage to 2.4 or 2.2. This allows the machine to POST and I can get into BIOS. Keep in mind, this is just to get the system to POST with just 1GB. Also, I have to place the 1GB stick into bank 4 for it to POST successfully. After this, I attempt to place each module into the machine, one at a time, and it doesn't POST at all with a second or 3rd or 4th stick in here, not without alternating banks with sticks one at a time until I can get 3 out of 4 to POST the machine. With a 4th stick, it doesn't post at all.

Crazy part about all of this, I had this machine, up and running multiple times with 4GBs of RAM for months on end. The reason behind redoing this is because the machine has had numerous errors with the nVidia drivers (the dreadded nvlddkm.sys error, which since they released a newer version of the driver I haven't been able to test to see if it resolved this issue due to the POST issue). Either way, I've been fighting this for 2 weeks now and have been scouring this forum (which I'm new to btw so greetings all) for answers.

I've seen some possible solutions dealing with the timings and voltage, all of which have not been able to solve my problem. It only happens at 4GBs. Also, everything else besides the timings and voltage settings are either set to auto or disabled (which are defaults). I ran memtest on the modules and they're all good sticks with no problems. They all match in versions (ver1.1) speeds and serials with exception of 1 (serial for 3/4 are 07423397 and one is 07441546). Whats even better, is that the 3 I've been able to get the system to post with is 2 of the 07423397's and the 07441546).

Any suggestions?

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived