Corsair Community

TX650W PSU does not start in my system but is OK in another.

haggy

Hello RamGuy and other members,

This is my first post and so my first ever Corsair problem. I have bought a TX650W power supply to install into my system that is as per my profile to replace a Xilence 480 that was working fine but getting noisey.

When I installed it I was shocked to find no response to pressing the power button. I contacted the retailer who promptly sent me another and I found the same problem again! I am not using any UPS etc.

I brought one TX650W to my office (IT support dept for a large company in UK) and fitted it to one of my test systems (IBM intellistation) and it worked OK. I only tried one PSU but i assume both are OK.

My question is why should it not work in my own home system that is of good spec and of mostly new parts? If I conect my old PSU to the 24pin and 4pin MB sockets and 6pin PCI express only the MB will POST and fans will start. With either of the two new TX650W conected the same way I get nothing at all.

Please help, I have fitted many PSUs and I really don't understand why this is happening...

Thanks and best regards,

Stephen.

• Corsair Employees
Since the PSU is working in a different system I would suspect that there is some other problem with your system. Two things that come to mind are that you might have a grounding issue or a short somewhere, and the old PSU is not picking it up. Our PSU has over-current and over-voltage protection circuits built in, and if a problem is detected, then the PSU will not power on, in order to prevent damage to the system. One thing to try would be to test the Corsair PSU outside of the case and see if there is any difference. If there is no change, then you may want to remove the motherboard from the case and bench test it to ensure there is no grounding problems.

Hello Ram Guy,

Thanks for your support with this issue, I have resolved the problem by disconnecting every thing from the mother board, The power supply started OK. re-connected everything one at a time and tested. Fault was with the front panel USB. You are correct, my previous PSU is no where near the quality of this TX650W and must have not noticed the defect.

Thanks again, I would highly recomend corsair products and the loudest parts of my system are now the hard drives.

Best regards,

Stephen.

Archived