Corsair Community

Memory is running at 400MHz, should be 800MHz, how do I fix this?

d-u-h

My PC is a new build (see specs) and I'm now experiencing a problem with either the mobo or the ram...

originally the ram worked fine for 2 days then one stick died. took me a while to figure it out, but did RMA and got new, working sticks (passed memtest multiple times).

the problem is that i have a parity error (according to the beep-code list) on bootup (2beeps) and don't know what it means or how to fix it. I spoke with ECS' tech support and they told me the problem is bad memory. Their reasoning is that the exact model of memory I bought is NOT on their QVL list. A very similar model is (the 1gb version, while I have 2gb)... but corsair's site says it's compatible.

So what does this parity error mean? the double beep at bootup... i'm still using the computer, it seems to work, but does this mean it might die sometime soon, or cause damage somewhere?

CPU-Z follows:

GENERAL:

Type: DDR2

Size: 4096 MB

Channels #: Dual

DC Mode: Unganged

NB Frequency: 1800.0MHZ (fluctuating to 1800.2)

TIMINGS:

DRAM Frequency: 400 MHz

FSB:DRAM 1:2

CAS # Latency (CL): 5.0 clocks

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks

RAS prepcharge (tRP) 5 clocks

Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks

Bank Cycle TIme (tRC) 23 clocks

Command Rate (CR) 2T

SPD:

Slot selection

Slot 1: DDR2

Module Size 2048 MB

Max Bandwith PC2-6400 (400MHz)

Corsair

Part number CM2x2048-6400C5

Correction: None

(SLOT 2 shows same info, as I have two sticks)

Timings Table:

Frequency 240MHz / 400MHz

CAS Latency 4.0 / 5.0

RAS to CAS 4 / 5

RAS Precharge 4/5

tRAS 13 / 18

tRC 15 / 22

Voltage 1.8V / 1.8V

I have a double-beep at bootup, and according to the beep-code index, this is a parity error. The tech support for ECS won't tell me anything further "contact your memory manufacturer, or get new memory" ...so I"m a little out of luck.

The memory is good, it passes memtest (doublepass, actually). and here I am, on the computer, with the full amount (minus .75 in xp32)...

What's going on?

What do these beeps really mean?

And what do I need to do to fix it?

These modules are non ECC and non parity, did you have ECC enabled in the BIOS? If so Disable it and see if that corrects the problem, other I would replace the MB.

I don't know how to change the ECC setting because I can't find it in the BIOS.

I looked on every page, but can't find anything close to ECC.

When you say replace the motherboard, do you mean this one might be damaged (so replace with the same kind?) or pick out a new one all together?

I was asking this question in another forum on another site and everyone said "ecs sucks, go asus" and I was having a hard time picking out an asus board that listed the specific memory I have in their qualified vendor list. (cuz ECS' tech support says THAT is the problem.)

• Corsair Employees

I'm not clear on what you are saying. Do you mean that your computer actually works with this memory and passes Memtest?

Is the issue that it has beeps during POST and you are concerned about the beeps?

Please tell me how many USB devices you have connected to the system.

i have 3 usb devices

keyboard

mouse

printer

the beep happens even with a ps2 keyboard and no printer

the full story is that it was all working properly ( no beeps ) and then suddenly 1 stick of memory died. from that point on, i had 2 beeps (while running 1 stick of memory). I did RMA and got new memory, and the beeps continued.

They're seated properly, I tried clearing cmos, benchtested everything, memtest, etc.

my concern is that despite the fact that everything SEEMS to be working (aside from the double-beep), something may be damaged or may cause damage somewhere down the line.

Also, i THINK the computer, as a whole, is going a bit slower now (with the new 2x2gb sticks) than it was before the first pair had a problem.

I can't confirm that, obviously, as the first time only lasted for about a day.

Everything is new, it's a new build.

• Corsair Employees
There is no issue at all with the your specific chipset and our memory. Based on what you have posted, I would suspect something other than the memory. Do you have access to another system or MOBO to test your components with?

• Corsair Employees

Your 2 threads have been merged. Please do not double post on the same subject.

We cannot recommend any specific brand of motherboard over another. If you would like to stay with ECS I would recommend you try replacing the board.

Here is a listing of MOBOs that are compabible with your board. These can be found using our Memory Finder:

http://www.corsairmemory.com/configurator/memory_results.aspx?id=486477

Your 2 threads have been merged. Please do not double post on the same subject.

We cannot recommend any specific brand of motherboard over another. If you would like to stay with ECS I would recommend you try replacing the board.

Here is a listing of MOBOs that are compabible with your board. These can be found using our Memory Finder:

http://www.corsairmemory.com/configurator/memory_results.aspx?id=486477

my apologies for the double-post. I didn't intend to do that.

I don't have another system on which to check these components (my old build was outdated and incompatible with this hardware)... I suppose the simplest solution is to do the RMA on my current board, and see if I have a dud. After that-- I'll start shopping for another brand.

Thanks for the help, and again, I apologize for the double-post.

• Corsair Employees
my apologies for the double-post. I didn't intend to do that.

I don't have another system on which to check these components (my old build was outdated and incompatible with this hardware)... I suppose the simplest solution is to do the RMA on my current board, and see if I have a dud. After that-- I'll start shopping for another brand.

Thanks for the help, and again, I apologize for the double-post.

No worries but, it helps keep things simple and we can be more effective on your issue.

Please let us know if the replacement board does the trick or if you need anything else from us.

No worries but, it helps keep things simple and we can be more effective on your issue.

Please let us know if the replacement board does the trick or if you need anything else from us.

Thanks for the help-

I was unable to exchange my MOBO for the same model, as they had no more available (bought from tigerdirect). They did, however, give me their cost-price on a different board:

Asus M3A78-T AMD 790GX Socket AM2+ Motherboard

which should be an upgrade from my current ECS board.

I think everything should be compatible, but I have yet to check on Asus' website, or here at Corsair.

I'll be back in a week or something to post the results as soon as the new board arrives.

EDIT:

According to Corsair.com, and asus.com, my cpu and memory should be compatible. Hopefully this resolves the problems.

Archived