Corsair Community

Optimal Power Supply Watts

SummerBreeze

What would be the optimal power supply wattage for a heavily used PC with the following specs? I'd rather err on the side of too much rather than just enough. Thanks for your help! Much Appreciated!!

- Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

- Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9550 [2.83GHz]

- 8GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM [4x2048]

- 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]

- 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

- Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth

- Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner

- 16x max. DVD-ROM

- 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, audio

- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

- Logitech X-230 speakers (2.1)

- HP wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse

- HP W1907 19in Wide flat panel disply

Thanks. I used the PSU calculator and it came up with 400-450watts. It doesn't take into account everything thats plugged in though like the wireless lan card, monitor, dvd drives, sound card, etc. Don't they also factor into the equation?

Is there any problem you can foresee with having more watts in power supply than really required? Is it just waste or would it cause a problem?

I purchased a PC awhile back and the hard drive died on it after a couple of years. I surmised that it was because it was slowing being starved for power.

Thanks again!

• Corsair Employees
There is quite a bit of overhead built into the PSU calc, just to be on the safe side, so you should be fine. Keep in mind that the maximum wattage will not be pulled from every component at the same time in most cases. I would say the VX450 would be sufficient for your system, but you may want to go up a step or two if you plan on upgrading graphics cards or going with a crossfire setup in the future. It definitely does not hurt to go with a higher wattage unit that what you need, the PSU will only supply as much power as the system is asking for at any given time, so an HX1000 and a VX450 would give you the same amount of power in this system, and they would use about the same amount of power from your outlet.

Archived