Corsair Community

Are the gains worth trying 8 gigs ?

doubt

I have OC my board with 2x2 gigs of TW3X4G1600C9DHX. It was an adventure to say the least to get it 99.9% stable. I wonder How some of these people without any formal training in electronics manage. I Upgraded to a Q9650 prossesor and would like to add additional memory of the same giving me 4x2. ( With my other builds wasn't posible. Shown in the fine print.) After reading up what I could I haven't really found an answer. Is more better with the technology I am using ( core 2 with evga 790i ultimate ) I am a little miffed since I thought intel was going to use the 775 socket for a while. Went through that with amd so I went back to intel. I don't have an unlimited bank account. I know they haven't tested the modules that way but in life there are no garantees. So theoreticly is it worth it. ( feel free to guide me to any previous posts of this nature.) Any info on settings and voltages would also be greatly appreciated. This comp dose not handle any of my work. Its the ginny pig.

Thanks DerekT,

I have followed some of your post and have learned alot. I did try it cause I could and everything started out well and went down hill from there. It seemed stable then strange and unexpected results. After seeing your post I decided that 4 gig was enough irritation and I will wait for the technology to catch up. Now I either wait until my cpu and mb become landfill material or find a place to unload it. ( any sugestions ) I hope corsair appreciates your

time. I know I do.

Before we move to an overclock and stability testing, let's test for DRAM modules stability.

As well, For your research:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189727

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS. Load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker

CPU Level Up = Disabled
Memory Level Up = Disabled 

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Multiplier = 9
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR) = 1333 (333)
MEM (DDR) = 1600 (800)
LDT Frequency = 5X
PCIE BUS, Slot 1 & 2, Mhz = 100
PCIE BUS, Slot 3, Mhz = 100
SPP <--> Ref Clock, Mhz = 200

Memory Timing Section

tCL (CAS Latency) = 9
tRCD = 9
tRP = 9
tRAS = 24
Command Per Clock = 2T

Advanced Memory Settings
tRRD = 8
tRC = 32
tWR = 10
tWTR = 22
tFAW = 24
tRD = Auto
tRTP = 9
tRFC = 66
tREF = 7,8uS

CPU Configuration

CPU Internal Thermal Control = Auto
Lmit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep(tm) Tech = Disabled

CPU Core 2 = Enabled
CPU Core 3 = Enabled
CPU Core 4 = Enabled

[b]System Voltages[/b]

CPU Core = Auto
CPU FSB = Auto 
Memory = 1.70v
nForce SPP = 1.45	
nForce MCP = 1.55	
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP = Auto

Shut the system down. Insert one stick in slot one (closest to the CPU) and restart. Once you gain boot, shut the system down. Insert the second stick in slot two and restart. Once you gain boot, shut the system down. Insert the third stick in slot three. Once you gain boot, shut the system down. Insert the last stick in slot four. Once you gain boot, boot to the Memtest CD. Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it in slot two. Repeat memtest.

Results?

Archived