Corsair Community

Unable to run Corsair Dominator PC8500 modules at full 1066Mhz

Viol37

Hi Guys,

I'm experiencing a issue with not being able to run my Corsair Dominator's PC8500 at the full rated speed of 1066Mhz via BIOS.

With everything set to default it still auto detects at 800Mhz.

I'm using an Asus Striker II Formula motherboard and currently using the latest BIOS rev, which is 1901.

I have tried various BIOS revs but still no luck.

If I raise the DRAM Frequency to anywhere above 1050Mhz then I'm subject to POST boot failures resulting in my having to clear my CMOS and starting again.

I have heard rumors that due to some sort of compatibility issues, motherboards using a nVidia nForce chipset are unable to run PC8500 RAM modules at their full speed of 1066Mhz.

I have even tried another set of TwinX Corsair Dominator's and still the same issue and to further test, I used my mates C.r. u.c.i.a.l Ball.is.tix PC8500 modules and still the same deal.

Your thoughts guys?

Vio|37

Hi Derek,

thanks for the reply

I was also thinking that either it was a motherboard chipset compatibility issue or faulty motherboard.

Out out all the issues once can have with a PC, to me the motherboard is the biggest pain, considering everything has got to be removed to replace a mobo.

I'm thinking that IF it is due to a compatibility issue, last thing I want to do is to take it all apart, wait for the shop to test, source another one and I bring it home and I'm in the same boat.

I have been thinking of moving to a new motherboard, which using an Intel chipset.

I've got my eye on the Asus Maximum II Formula, which houses the Intel P45 chipset.

Your thoughts?

Vio|37

Reason that I tend to think this is a compatibility issue between PC8500 modules and the nForce chipset is because my uncle also has an nVidia based chipset mobo (little older than mine) and he too suffers the same problem I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

I came to the final conclusion that it came down to incompatibility issues between the nForce chipset and PC8500 RAM modules or just simply a faulty motherboard as I used to experience the below issues:

1. Unable to install Vista with more than 2GB installed as, the install would just BSOD whilst copying system files to the HDD
  2. Extremely high idle temps for the North Bridge, which averaged between 60 to 70 (Striker II Formula is famous for this issue)
  3. High CPU idle temps as my stock Q9450 would idle at approx 35 to 50 degrees
  4. Unable to run any PC8500 (1066Mhz) RAM modules at full speed despite trying everyone's hints, tips and suggestions as RAM would just auto detect at PC6400 (800Mhz) and when trying to manually alter the DDR frequency, would result in the machine failing to complete POST

I am now running the Maximus II Formula (1901) and all the above issues are a thing of the past.

RAM is now auto detecting at full speed and my CPU and NB idle temps are ultra cool. :)

Thanks guys for all your suggestions...

• Corsair Employees

That may be normal for that MB but with 4 modules DDR1066 would not be possible, maybe 4 at DDR800 depending on the CPU FSB.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

You're very welcome. To be clear, you are running with 2 X 2GB of 1066Mhz memory?

I am now running the Maximus II Formula (1901) and all the above issues are a thing of the past.

RAM is now auto detecting at full speed and my CPU and NB idle temps are ultra cool. :)

Thanks guys for all your suggestions...

Archived