Corsair Community

Compatibility issues with PC3500 memory

bullwinkle88

Hello!

DDR438 PC3500 memory is no longer made. I have 2x1GB on my PC and would like to add more. I was told that if the voltage and timing was the same, any other memory would work.

Corsair makes an XMS memory that has the same voltage but the timing is just one off.

XMS timing is 2-3-3-6

DDr438 timing is 2-3-2-6

Will this make a difference?

thanks for your time.

• Corsair Employees
Use the link in my signature for WHAT CORSAIR MODULE OR MODULES WILL WORK WITH MY SYSTEM and find the correct modules for your board. Keep in mind that mixing different modules is not recommended and may cause instability.

There is no definitive answer to your question. It's not just the timing, it's the fabrication, IC's and timings. You take your chances ANY time you mix and match memory. It may work, it may not work. I wish there was a more definitive answer but there really isn't.

Different modules, different manufacturers of the IC's, different timings, etc. do not give the ability to guarantee the mix and match.

Keep in mind that mixing different modules is not recommended and may cause instability.

The above is the only real answer to your question. It's not recommended and may cause instability or even inability to boot.

• Corsair Employees
There is no definitive answer to your question. It's not just the timing, it's the fabrication, IC's and timings. You take your chances ANY time you mix and match memory. It may work, it may not work. I wish there was a more definitive answer but there really isn't.

Different modules, different manufacturers of the IC's, different timings, etc. do not give the ability to guarantee the mix and match.

The above is the only real answer to your question. It's not recommended and may cause instability or even inability to boot.

Derek is correct, we advise against mixing different types/densities/frequencies/brands etc of memory. The only way you will know if this will work, is to install the memory and test for stability.

Archived