Corsair Community

Trying to setup 2x TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX run @ rated settings

duyfken

I'm trying to get my 2 lots of TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX to work on my GA-EP45T-UD3P and even though I do the usual turning up the FSB to 400Mhz, I cannot seem to get the modules to run without causing failures in the OS including BSOD and other problems. What are the necessary settings in the BIOS to try and get them working stably at the rated speed/latencies?

• Corsair Employees
Since you are raising the FSB frequency, you will likely need to raise the memory controller voltage 1-3 steps above the stock setting. Also, with 4 modules, you should start by getting stable at 1066 and raise the FSB in small increments from that point as the system may or may not be able to hit 1600 running 4 modules due to the load on the memory controller.

So is it the MCH Core Voltage (Currently @ 1.1V) or the MCH Reference Voltage (Currently @ 0.76V) I will need to tweak up? or both?

Also the RAM easily runs without problems when the FSB is @ 1600Mhz but @ 11-11-11-29 instead of the rated 7-7-7-20

http://i41.tinypic.com/209nipu.jpghttp://i41.tinypic.com/s3lw0x.jpg

I have run memtest and not turned up any errors with either stick or both together.

You are not going to like what I have to say. I have never found high density and high capacity DDR3 to work stably in X38/X48/P45.

I personally believe that the DDR3 platform was created for i7 and that transitioning to Core 2 and DDR3 was simply a money grab. I see more issues with people attempting to get high DRAM speeds on DDR3 with Core 2 than anything else.

For example. I have a plain vanilla P5Q mainboard with DDR2. It allows for 1100Mhz on 6GB of 1066Mhz DRAM and an easy 4.1Ghz overclock.

I also have a $500.00(CAN) Rampage Extreme and getting 1600Mhz on this board has not brought about a stable gaming platform. I have tested on Gigabyte, ASUS, Abit and MSI. I can make 4.3Ghz, 1700Mhz on the DRAM both linpack and memtest stable but will crash on games in minutes. The STOP errors are System_Service_Exception, Page Fault, STOP 03, STOP 07, etc. etc. I have interchanged GTX 260 with HD 4870 with the same results. More stop errors occur, but the issue is certainly MCH <--> DRAM related and leads me to assume that just as Intel has a tick / tock strategy with CPU die shrink, they do the same with their newest technological data translation devices.

I found stablity, but had to drop DRAM speeds to get that gaming stability. A 100.00 motherboard with cheap DDR2 is more stable than the 500.00 motherboard with costly High Speed/High Capacity DDR3.

So to sum up, I have only found these methods to deal with X38/X48/P45 and High Speed and High Capacity DDR3 DRAM.

I have dropped to 1GB modules of > 1333Mhz DRAM

I have lowered 1600Mhz DRAM to 1333Mhz when using 2GB modules.

Then via overclock, I have been able to find ~1500Mhz on the DRAM and still have long term stability. I have NEVER found 4 X 2048 to be stable at even that speed. The proof of the issue being the memory controller is that Memtest and Linpack/Prime95 is fully stable. I have never tried raising the timings and will try that for a four DRAM slot population. Thanks for the tip. :):

This issue is all over the internet.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=518749

Thanks for your input and I'll take it into account as I keep trying to get the RAM running at rated speeds.

What I'd like to know right now is whether it's the MCH Core Voltage or the MCH Reference Voltage I need to tweak. Hopefully with tweaking the MCH Voltage, I can attain the rated timings (7-7-7-20) @ the already attained rated speed of 1600Mhz.

The Voltage reference provides a fixed value of voltage irrespective of the device loading of the core voltage. The MCH Vcore should be increased when you start to see memtest failures with known good memory during FSB increases. This has been a standard I have followed for quite some time and there seemed to be no difference when memtest passes and I increased the MCH Voltage values. The DRAM still passed and I still crashed. I believe this is a limitation of those chipsets.

I don't spend too much time playing with events such as this. I fixed up the system with 4 X 1024 of 1600 and ran it to 4.3Ghz with 1600Mhz easily. Tested it well. Games ran solidly and fluidly. I then sold the system and moved to i7 where I tried the 1600C7 2GB modules and easily made 1600C9 (1.65v of the i7) with stability. Now I'm running with 1866C9 with no problems.

Good luck. I hope you find some stability. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for your input and I'll take it into account as I keep trying to get the RAM running at rated speeds.

What I'd like to know right now is whether it's the MCH Core Voltage or the MCH Reference Voltage I need to tweak. Hopefully with tweaking the MCH Voltage, I can attain the rated timings (7-7-7-20) @ the already attained rated speed of 1600Mhz.

Start gaming and use the system for a week or so and let us know if you are stable. If you are stable for a good week, then you look good for the go and are a lucky person. I passed memtest and linpack all the time, but gaming was another story. Bioshock and Crysis Warhead crashed especially quickly.

I wouldn't mind you posting your settings as well please. (After a good week of gaming and no issues).

Then, let us know a year from now. :):

I've got them running @ 1600Mhz 8-8-8-20 @ 1.9V stably now (4 good passes in memtest+ 2.11 and no BSODs yet). No other overclocks except the FSB/RAM speed/timings and the DRAM Voltage.

• 2 weeks later...

No problems a week later, seems to be perfectly stable.

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/504852.png

Like I said, apart from upping the DRAM Voltage from [Auto] to 1.9V and kicking the FSB up from 333 to 400Mhz, all settings are stock (except Load-line Calibration activated which should be a necessity anyway) so settings other than those are in the official manual.

Archived