Corsair Community

MSI Eclipse SLI X58 + TR3X6G1333C9 = CMOS Nightmare

kolchak63

I've run into a what I believe to be a compatibility issue between my Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 6GB 1333 memory and my MSI Eclipse SLI X58 i7 motherboard. At first, I thought it was just a bad MSI board, but now I am thinking it's a compatibility issue between MSI and Corsair.

You can see my MSI thread, here, which discusses the issue in a lot more detail: http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=123662.0

Basically, the problem is that when my memory is set to 1333, if I hit F10/Save in BIOS, the PC power-cycles (instead of warm boots). When I set the speed down to 1066, I could then F10/save and BIOS acted normally (just a warm boot and BIOS saved the settings). On power-cycle, all CMOS settings are lost.

When the PC power-cycles (in BIOS), no BIOS settings/changes are saved to CMOS. On boot-up, you have to go in and change date/time/boot order, etc. With the memory set at 1066, settings are saved to CMOS (on warm boot)...with memory set to 1333, settings are not saved, as the PC power-cycles and clears everything you just modified.

So, thinking that things were normal with the speed down to 1066, I found out later that after power down/up (by my own hand, not the unexpected power-cycle) of the PC, on boot, the CMOS settings are once again erased. So, lowering the memory speed cured a piece of the issue, but not the overall problem (I really don't want to have to keep my PC powered on 24x7 just to avoid this CMOS issue).

I've gone through 2 MSI motherboards, 3 batteries, BIOS v1.0 and v1.2 (MSI flashed both boards to v1.2, before they sent them back to me).

I never OC, so I don't generally play with voltages and timings. But, resolving the power-cycle issue with a speed change (on memory) has given me some hope. Should I attempt to modify other DRAM settings, in BIOS, to get around this CMOS save issue? And, if so, which ones?

Can anyone (with this motherboard and memory) post a list of their BIOS CELL memory settings (preferably the non-OC'ed ones)?

Thanks!

Rob

Sorry for missing this post.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Insert your Memory in slots 2, 4 and 6. These are from the CPU. So, not in the first slot. Bypass the first slot and insert into the second, fourth and sixth slots. Restart the system and enter the BIOS. Set to these values:

Advanced BIOS Features

Cell Menu

->CPU Specifications <Enter>
Report on CPU Spec (No Entries Possible)

Intel EIST = Enabled
Intel C-State Tech = Enabled
C State package Limit Setting = Auto
C1 Auto Demotion = Enabled
C3 Auto Demotion = Enabled
Base Clock (Mhz) = 133
Intel Turbo Boost Tech = Enabled
-> Turbo Boost Tech Config <Enter>
Leave all as Set

QPI Configuration <Enter>
QPI Link Speed = Full Speed
QPI Frequency = 6.400GT

Memory-Z <Enter>
X.M.P Support Information = DDR3-1333

Advance Dram Configuration <Enter>
1N/2N Memory Timing = Auto
CAS Latency(CL) = 9
tRCD = 9
tRP = 9
tRAS = 24
Advanced Memory Setting = Manual
tRFC = 80
All Else to Auto

Extreme Memory Profile = Disabled
Memory Ratio = 5
Adjusted DRAM Frequency = 1333Mhz

DRAM Voltage = 1.65v

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If stable, enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

DerekT - Thanks for getting back to me and making those suggestions.

I went into BIOS and adjusted all settings, as you detailed. But, when I hit F10/Save the machine does it's power-cycle routine and comes up with all CMOS settings lost again. So, I can't adjust those settings as you prescribed.

In fact, the only way I was able to get back to where I can save the CMOS settings (at least, until the next time I power on/off the PC) was to load the FailSafe settings, then change my date/time/boot order and lower the memory ratio so that the memory is running at 1066. Only then can I hit F10/Save and have it actually save the settings (and, do a warm boot vs. a power-cycle).

The PC, now, will chug along happily with the memory running at a lower speed. I basically just leave my PC up, 24x7, and allow it to go into SLEEP mode (not Hibernate, as that involves the loss of power which clears my CMOS when I bring it out of Hibernate). If I don't power it off, it's happy.

I don't like leaving it on, all the time (this PC case has 7 fans and blue lighting and it all stays on in SLEEP mode).

Any other thoughts? I've posted some CPU-Z output for my CPU, MLB and memory sticks, below (running at 1066).

Thanks!

Rob

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.bf17e6152b14bd5e80e7ada159a1e72f.jpg

• Corsair Employees
Try clearing your BIOS again and then set all of the BIOS to the settings Derek gave except for the memory frequency. Set it manually to 1066. Save settings and reboot to the OS. If it is stable, reboot again and see if you can then set 1333 for the memory.

Ram Guy - I tried the suggestions: Cleared back to FailSafe...set all of Derek's settings (except, kept Memory Ratio at 4 for 1066). Hit F10/Save...got the power-cycle.

So, I tried again...this time, I did the FailSafe...set all memory settings (only) and hit F10/Save...got the warm-boot and settings were saved.

I then set all of the CPU settings...F10/Save also worked.

The only setting left to be changed was the QPI Frequency, which I then changed to 6.400GT. F10/Save caused the Power-Cycle/CMOS clear.

I set all of the above, again, and tried with QPI Freq. to 5.600GT...this also resulted in a power-cycle/CMOS clear.

I can successfully run all of Derek's settings, with memory downclocked to 1066 and QPI Frequency left at 4.800GT. Anything else causes the power-cycle/CMOS clear.

Thanks,

Rob

At this point in time, until BIOS revisions mature, and with that board pick, you are better off running this way. You will, at least, be stable. MSI are not known for quick BIOS revisions so it might also be some time. It's not a memory compatibility issue, it is a brand new platform and even the best boards are, at this time, wonky. Many issues will not be matured until a second or even third release of mainboards. There are cold boot issue attributed to underpowered machines, sleep mode issues across the board (no pun intended) on overclocks higher than 160 BCLK, et. etc.

I advise RMA of the board. CYPM

Derek,

Thanks for the suggestions. I can live with this or awhile, as it is running stable (until I power off the PC and try to bring it up again), but I have to wonder if there will be any future fix if I am the only one seeing this particular issue. Time to call MSI support, again, I guess.

I have already RMAed this board (it's my 2nd from MSI).

I've had the same power-cycle issue on BIOS v1 and v1.2.

It's definitely not underpowered (using a 1200w PSU).

I'm just curious if others running the same MLB and memory (with no BIOS tweaks) have experienced the same issue that I have...

Thanks,

Rob

Man, I hate to tell ya guys, that RMAing the motherboard isn't going to fix this issue. I have an EVGA x58 board that shows the same thing on the TR3X6G1600C9G. it's showing the memory in Dual channel. Kinda bogus to call the trile channel memory when it's not.

Triple or Dual Channel is not a function of the memory. It is a function of the memory controller. All the DRAM needs to do is fulfil the Dual or Triple Channel requirements which are SPD/XMP/EPP values and matched modules.

Research:

http://www.buildorbuy.org/dualchannelddr.html

Man, I hate to tell ya guys, that RMAing the motherboard isn't going to fix this issue. I have an EVGA x58 board that shows the same thing on the TR3X6G1600C9G. it's showing the memory in Dual channel. Kinda bogus to call the trile channel memory when it's not.

• Corsair Employees

If this is the case you have a faulty component; either MOBO, CPU, or memory.

As Derek noted, a triple channel memory kit is 3 matched modules that meet the specifications for the given motherboard. The function of triple channel is dictated by the memory controller which in this case in on the CPU.

Archived