Corsair Community

Memory setup, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

berndawg19

Hi,

I am trying to set up my memory on my mother board properly. What is the proper memory setup configuration? The issue I am having is every time I set up my memory to 1600mz in the bios it defaults back to 1066mz. The settings I use are 9,9,9,24 2T volts seams to have an auto set. There are other memory settings for on my board but I just leave them set to the factory default. My system specs are, motherboard Giga-Byte GA-X48T-DQ6, memory Corsair XMS3DHX 1600mz DDR3, 4gb set and my processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo QX9770 1600mz front-side bus.

Is there something I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks again!!:):

I have changed it to the specs that you sent me, but for some reason it defaults back to 1066mz. I also do not know how to change the voltage because it looks to be set up on some sort of auto feature. the only setting that I can change for memory voltage in bios is over voltage. Is this where I need to change it? Do I need to set over voltage by .3 volts?

Setting the over voltage did not work. The Bios kept restting the memory back to 1066 Mhz. I need to know how to set all the settings.

Robust Graphics Booster: [Auto]

CPU Clock Ratio: [8x]

CPU Frequency: 3.20GHz 400x8

CPU Host Clock Control: [Enabled]

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): [400]

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz): [Auto]

C.I.A. 2: [Disabled]

Performance Enhanced: [standard]

These are the ones I need help setting.

System Memory Multiplier:

Memory Frequency (Mhz):

DRAM Timing Selectable:

******** Standard Timing Control ********

CAS Latency Time:

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay:

DRAM RAS# Precharge:

Precharge Delay(tRAS):

******** Advance Timing Control ********

ACT to ACT Delay(tRRD):

Rank Write to READ Delay:

Write To Precharge Delay:

Refresh to ACT Delay:

Read to Precharge Delay:

Static tRead Value:

Static tRead Phase Adjust:

Command Rate (CMD):

******** Clock Driving & Skew Control ********

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control:

CPU Check Skew Control:

(G)MCH Clock Skew Control:

******** System Voltage Optimized ********

System Voltage Control:

DDR3 OverVoltage Control:

PCI-E OverVoltage Control:

FSB OverVoltage Control:

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control:

Loadline Calibration:

COU Voltage Control:

Normal CPU Vcore: 1.37500V

If anybody can help, please let me know.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Shut your system down and insert one stick of memory in the Slot 2 (2nd Closest to the CPU)

Enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before, but I think you already know this.

MIB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster = Auto
CPU Clock Ratio = 8
Fine Clock Ratio = 0.5
CPU Host Clock Control = Enabled
CPU Host Frequency = 400Mhz
PCI Express Frequency = 100Mhz
C.I.A.2 = Disabled
Performance Enhance =  Normal
System Memory Multiplier = 4
DRAM Timing Selectable = Manual

Performance Enhance = Standard

CAS Latency Time = 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# Precharge = 9
Precharge Delay (tRAS) = 24

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) = 5
Rank Write to READ Delay = 7
Write to Precharge Delay = 8
Refresh to ACT Delay = 80
Read to Precharge Delay = 7
Static tRead Value = 8
Static tRead Phase Adjust = Auto
Command Rate (CMD) = 2T

System Voltage Control = Manual
DDR3 OverVoltage Control = +0.3
PCI-E OverVoltage Control = +0.1V
FSB OverVoltage Control = +0.2V
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control = .35v
Loadline Calibration = Auto
Normal CPU Vcore = 1.37500 

Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut the system down. Remove the stick and insert it into the Slot 3 and retest. Finally, insert one in slot 1 and one in slot 3 and retest, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Also, do you really need that much voltage for a 400Mhz FSB? I would think that you can get by with Auto voltage since you are not overclocking the CPU speed, just the FSB.

Results?

I may have input my Normal CPU Vcore incorrectly. I am at work right now, and do not remember if that is what it was set at. I just put the one in the user's manual. That item is greyed out and I have not changed it. It is whatever the default setting is. Derek T, did you have a board like mine? I am having crashes in games, and would like to get an expert opinion on how to properly set the entire Bios. Please let me know if you can help.

You are not going to like what I have to say. I have never found high density and high capacity DDR3 to work stably in X38/X48/P45.

I personally believe that the DDR3 platform was created for i7 and that transitioning to Core 2 and DDR3 was simply a money grab. I see more issues with people attempting to get high DRAM speeds on DDR3 with Core 2 than anything else.

For example. I have a plain vanilla P5Q mainboard with DDR2. It allows for 1100Mhz on 6GB of 1066Mhz DRAM and an easy 4.1Ghz overclock.

I also have a $500.00(CAN) Rampage Extreme and getting 1600Mhz on this board has not brought about a stable gaming platform. I have tested on Gigabyte, ASUS, Abit and MSI. I can make 4.3Ghz, 1700Mhz on the DRAM both linpack and memtest stable but will crash on games in minutes. The STOP errors are System_Service_Exception, Page Fault, STOP 03, STOP 07, etc. etc. I have interchanged GTX 260 with HD 4870 with the same results. More stop errors occur, but the issue is certainly MCH <--> DRAM related and leads me to assume that just as Intel has a tick / tock strategy with CPU die shrink, they do the same with their newest technological data translation devices.

I found stablity, but had to drop DRAM speeds to get that gaming stability. A 100.00 motherboard with cheap DDR2 is more stable than the 500.00 motherboard with costly High Speed/High Capacity DDR3.

So to sum up, I have only found these methods to deal with X38/X48/P45 and High Speed and High Capacity DDR3 DRAM.

I have dropped to 1GB modules of > 1333Mhz DRAM

I have lowered 1600Mhz DRAM to 1333Mhz when using 2GB modules.

Then via overclock, I have been able to find ~1500Mhz on the DRAM and still have long term stability.

This issue is all over the internet.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=518749

I may have input my Normal CPU Vcore incorrectly. I am at work right now, and do not remember if that is what it was set at. I just put the one in the user's manual. That item is greyed out and I have not changed it. It is whatever the default setting is. Derek T, did you have a board like mine? I am having crashes in games, and would like to get an expert opinion on how to properly set the entire Bios. Please let me know if you can help.

• Corsair Employees
I don't want to overclock, just simply run my system at 1600Mhz.

What you are trying to do, to run your memory at 1600 is OCing. You must OC the memory controller to run memory at 1600.

Would you suggest that I buy some 1900Mhz memory and run it at 1600Mhz?

No, this would not resolve your issue.

Please try adjusting your CPU clock ratio to 7 or 6 just for testing purposes. Let us know if this helps.

What are your other options for (G) MCH OverVoltage? Did you try it at + .35v as Derek suggested?

Also:

I may have input my Normal CPU Vcore incorrectly. I am at work right now, and do not remember if that is what it was set at. I just put the one in the user's manual. That item is greyed out and I have not changed it.

Did you change the voltages that Derek posted above or not? As Derek earlier noted, you need to be in your main BIOS page and hit CTRL + F1 simultaneously to unlock the Advance BIOS options needed to set your BIOS correctly.

Enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before, but I think you already know this.

This is a problem with high capacity and high density DDR3 DRAM and X38/X48 and P45 chipsets.

You have the only Core2 Quad product (QX9770) that does not need to have a CPU overclock to reach the 1600Mhz DRAM speeds.

The proof of stability in both the DRAM and CPU but still finding crashes in gaming, etc. shows that the issue is chipset related.

I was so irritated that I purchased 4 X 1024 of 1600Mhz DRAM, installed it in the same system and found perfect stability. Even when I clocked the CPU up to 4.3Ghz. At 400FSB (1600 QDR) and 800Mhz DRAM (1600 DDR) there were NO issues. I then sold the system and moved to i7 which has NO issues with either the same DRAM or i7 DRAM. Clearly the issue (to my view) was and is chipset related.

Is this an overclocking problem or just a problem in general. I don't want to overclock, just simply run my system at 1600Mhz. Would you suggest that I buy some 1900Mhz memory and run it at 1600Mhz?

Ram guy, why do I have to overclock the memory to get to 1600Mhz. According to the memory specs, which by the way are the same are the same specs that you sent me in your first response, this is 1600Mhz memory. Like Derek T said, I have the only Core 2 Duo Processor that runs at 1600Mhz front side bus, I should no need to overclock it. If it only runs at 1333Mhz, why is it rated at 1600Mhz? That means that I spent a lot of money that I did not need to spend. I have not tried Derek's setting yet since I am still at work. I will use those settings as soon as I get home. Hopefully it will solve my problem.

Since you have the only Core 2 CPU that can run this DRAM at non overclocked settings it was a simple mistake. Just ignore the references to overclocking. You do not need to overclock.

But be clear on the caveats I have mentioned and found. They are NOT DRAM related. They are chipset related as shown by memory and cpu tests showing stability. The same memeory, when tested on Nvidia 790i shows stability as well and does not show the instability you mention and that I (and many others) have also found.

To be clearer, I doubt my settings will bring stability. I believe the issue is chipset related.

Ram guy, why do I have to overclock the memory to get to 1600Mhz. According to the memory specs, which by the way are the same are the same specs that you sent me in your first response, this is 1600Mhz memory. Like Derek T said, I have the only Core 2 Duo Processor that runs at 1600Mhz front side bus, I should no need to overclock it. If it only runs at 1333Mhz, why is it rated at 1600Mhz? That means that I spent a lot of money that I did not need to spend. I have not tried Derek's setting yet since I am still at work. I will use those settings as soon as I get home. Hopefully it will solve my problem.

• Corsair Employees

I have not made a mistake here.

Since you have the only Core 2 CPU that can run this DRAM at non overclocked settings it was a simple mistake. Just ignore the references to overclocking. You do not need to overclock.

Even with a 1600 FSB CPU, the X48 memory controller's native maximum supported speed is 1333. Running it at 1600 is in fact OCing. It requires manual OCing or use of the XMP profile to run the memory at 1600.

And, I did not say you are OCing the memory. I said you need to OC your MEMORY CONTROLLER to run memory at DDR1600.

What you are trying to do, to run your memory at 1600 is OCing. You must OC the memory controller to run memory at 1600.

That is also why I specifically asked if you increased the memory controller voltage as Derek had suggested. You typically cannot OC the memory controller frequency without raising the memory controller voltage.

From the Intel X-48 data sheet, page 13: http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/319122.pdf

• System Memory Interface

— One or two channels (each channel consisting of 64 data lines)

— Single or Dual Channel memory organization

— DDR3-/1333/1066/800 frequencies

— Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) DDR memory support at

1600 MHz

This is the issue I spoke of. Gaming and video card crashes while all memory and cpu tests out fine.

I told you what I had to do. If you are looking for stability, then re-read my prior posts.

Thanks, Derek T. Your settings worked. you seem to know a lot about these systems. I think I have a graphics card issue now. I got a differant type of crash this time and it mentioned ATI. Please let me know if you can help.

No, the CPU <--> MCH <--> DRAM stream is overclocked when the CPU, MCH or DRAM is raised higher. Greater voltages can just add stability but in your case, there seems to be a limitation in the memory controllers ability to run with the high density and high capacity modules that overclocking does NOT help.

Is the memory controller over clocked by adjusting the voltage only? Is there anything else that I need to know? I seem to be running stable with Derek's settings, but I am open to anything that might help.

Your card runs very hot. When I had the 4870X2 I used the profile configuration manager in the CCC to set two profiles. One being a 2D Profile with the fan raised until I could just hear it, about 15% higher than stock and I lowered the speeds of the GPU and memory to the lowest as the speed is not needed in 2D. This cooled the GPU and the memory when I am on the desktop. I then created a second profile for gaming. The GPU and memory were set to stock and the fan was raised to about 65% which is definitely louder but when I'm gaming, I'm either using my speakers or headphones so the additional sound is a moot point and the card is far cooler. Then, I would right click on the system tray icon and choose the profile I wished to use. I do the same for my GXT 260's now.

There really are no settings for the GPU in the BIOS.

So to clarify, in the settings you gave me, the memory controller has all ready been over clocked. By the way, do you know what the recommended settings for my graphics card are?

When playing games, the new ones run good. But every once in a while I get a beep from the case speaker. I have CPU warning temperature set to 90 degrees celcius. Is it normal to have the CPU heat up to that level during game play? It does not keep beeping. On older games, I have crashed. Is this due to compatability issues?

Are you using the stock cooler? 90C on the CPU is VERY hot and is a shutdown temp. Older games might need you to set WinXP compatibility mode.

You may wish to look at the thermalright ultra xtreme 120 for that CPU.

When playing games, the new ones run good. But every once in a while I get a beep from the case speaker. I have CPU warning temperature set to 90 degrees celcius. Is it normal to have the CPU heat up to that level during game play? It does not keep beeping. On older games, I have crashed. Is this due to compatability issues?

Unfortunatly I can't use this fan because it will not fit in my case. I was thinking about getting the new Zalman CNPS9900 led when it hits the states. Right now, I have an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. The CPU temperature never got above 50c during the Everest test.

Archived