Corsair Community

X48-DQ6 + Corsair, very unstable

QClever

Greetings,

I have got a problem where I cannot get my system stable under load. Browsing the web is fine, but when I start playing computer games the screen freezes at, what seems like, random occasions. I bought it with hopes of being able to multibox games, but it seems I can't even run one game at the default settings.

I've added my computer's specifications to my profile, so you should be able to see it from there. If not, tell me and I will post it here as well (The rules said I shouldn't, though).

It started out as freezing from having one instance of the game running. I took one RAM module out, and it worked like a charm. I switched and used the other module, and there was no difference. But as soon as I plugged them both in at the same time, I would get the freezes. I then tested both RAM modules separately with memtest, without errors

I put both modules in and went into the BIOS and underclocked the RAM to work at 800 MHz instead of 1066 MHz, and that seemed to bring more stability to the system. I then started trying running two instances of the game, and the instability was back. I tried to underclock it further, and the freezes was reduced. Then I upped the voltage a little bit, and that helped as well. I could now run two pretty stable, but running three, which really should be possible with my spec, still caused random freezes.

Basically, the more I want to do with my computer, the further I have to underclock the RAM. Now it's at 400 MHz, and that's the lowest setting. The voltage is at 2.2 V, and I don't want to go further without consulting someone of higher knowledge.

The question

What is wrong with my computer, and what can I do to increase my stability? I would be really happy to get it stable even at this low clock. The computer's performance is OK, and isn't as important as getting the system stable - don't you agree? :)

Additional notes

• Before the computer freezes, I will sometimes experience a noticable frame drop. If I keep on playing, it will freeze, but if I stop playing and let the computer "chill" for a while, I can resume the gaming and avoid that freeze (While awaiting the next).

I am using a TWINX kit of 2x 2 GB for a total of 4 GB of RAM, excuse me for being vague. I hope that this description cleared it up?

Please ask anything that you need to know. I tried to include all relevant information in the post, but hey :)

• Corsair Employees
I put both modules in and went into the BIOS and underclocked the RAM to work at 800 MHz instead of 1066 MHz, and that seemed to bring more stability to the system. I then started trying running two instances of the game, and the instability was back. I tried to underclock it further, and the freezes was reduced. Then I upped the voltage a little bit, and that helped as well. I could now run two pretty stable, but running three, which really should be possible with my spec, still caused random freezes.
I believe this is what prompted Derek to ask how many modules you are attempting to use.

Are you stable with 2 modules?

Are you attempting to run more than 2 modules?

Archived