Corsair Community

Hey DerekT

johnnybob

I have an striker extreme q6600 and the corsair dominator pc2-8500c5d 4 gb 1024, strange stuff has been goin on over here although the memory seems to be running fine now,

I was having trouble trying to set this correctly so i reverted back to xlr8 pc2-6400 but wasnt able to accomplish what i wanted with that either.

so once again back to the dominator and then i noticed that i couldnt get the fsb&mem config bios settings to stick, it just kept reverting back to auto. after messing with it for awhile i decided to go to bed and tackle it this morning.

first i started with 1 dimm module, started up and noticed that total mem was repoted at 1024 but said 1023 was available, so i shut down, pulled it out and put it in dimm slot 1 from 0, rebooted same thing, shut down and put it in dimm 2, rebooted same thing, shut down move it to dimm 3 same thing.so i tried all mem modules the same way and recieved the same result.

I decided to put 1 module in dimm slot 0 and reboot and set my bios, i noticed that i had the sli ready option, i left it disabled, shut down and put in another module in dimm 1 and restarted and in the bios sli-ready was grayed out, it will only be present if i have only 1 dimm module in at a time, dosent matter which module.

tried putting 2 modules in dimm 1(a2) and dimm 3(b2)(blue ports) cause thats how i had to get sli ready highlited with the pc2-6400 then all modules would work in sli-ready mode but that dont work for the dominator, so i decided to go in and see if i could manually set the fsb&mem config and reboot, it switched back to auto again on me, by this time I was P.O.ed.

so i shut down reset the cmos, rebooted and still the same crap, so i shut down and this time moved the jumper to reset cmos and removed the battery and went for a ride on my Harley, put the battery back in and release the cmos button and relocated the jumper back into its rightful position,

so okay now I can manaully set the fsb and mem config, woo hoo! rock on twisted sister! but thats not the end of it yet cause im still only gettin 500.0 mhz and im thinking it needs to be 533 right? and my fsb/dram shows 8:15? how in the' did i come up with that ratio?

Windows vista experience rating is 5.3 and the mem is the only 1 scoring below 5.9, sandra reports that im using the "worst" mem ever. :bigeyes:

bios shows that i have a total of 4096 but only 4095 available, have ran the memtest and have allowed for 2 passes sometimes 3, but im wanting to do some gaming tonight and would rather wait and catch errors later

Ive seen where You have helped other dudes in here get their answers but i guess im not looking in the right places cause i cant figure my problem out and it is driving' me nuts:sunglasse

Sandra is a useless program that once was good around ten years ago but now is an old engine.

Download Everest Trial Version from here -->

Install Everest and right click on the (i) icon in the system tray. Choose Tools --> Cache and Memory Benchmark. Run the Benchmark and post the finished screenshot.

Download CPU-z from

Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

As well, please use sentences with proper punctuation and not run on. It's very hard to read your writing. I bypassed most of it, so please edit it.

Thanks for making your post more legible.

You are running with 4 DRAM modules. The memory transaction will slow down with this population. You can overclock the data stream CPU <--> MCH <--> DRAM and gain the lost bandwidth from the four module population.

What cooling do you have on your CPU? Would you like some settings to try?

Yes Sir I sure would appreciate if You would give Me some settings Bro

My CPU cooling is ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm

I have never got this thing over 2.8 stable but i to my pc to garage today and blew it out and did some adjustments and its running about 10c cooler than before:cool:

So Im ready to try anything You throw at me dude

Zulman.jpg.f73d495cddb8c59c92ae9b12d05ca6e9.jpg

You can not set SLi mode for more than two modules. As well, it is far harder to get a stable overclock when populating all four DRAM slots. You would do far better to sell those modules and purchase a 4GB kit of 1066Mhz DRAM instead. You might well not make 1066 with four slots.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from--->

Enter your BIOS and set:

AI Tuning : Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex : Disabled
LinkBoost : Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode : Unlinked
FSB (QDR), Mhz : 1333
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz : 1333
MEM (DDR), Mhz : 1066
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz : 1066

Vcore Voltage : Auto
Memory Voltage :2.1v
1.2v HT Voltage :1.2v
NB Core Voltage :1.45v
SB Core Voltage :1.50v
CPU VTT Voltage :1.25v
DDRII Controller Ref Voltage : Auto
DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage : Auto
DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage : Auto

tCL (CAS Latency) : 5
tRCD : 5
tRP : 5
tRAS : 15
Command Per Clock (CMD) : 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings

tRRD : Auto
tRC : Auto
tWR : Auto
tWTR : Auto
tREF : Auto
tRD : Auto
tRFC : 55
Async Latency : Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum : Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum : Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control : Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal : Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) : Enabled
Execute Disable Bit : Disabled
Virtualization Technology : Enabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech : Disabled
LDT Frequency : 5x

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If stable, then enter Windows and post a screenshot of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Post a screenshot of Everest as well.

I tried those setting, no post so i started backing down until i got a post

then i kept playing with the settings tryin to keep as close as i could to your instruction

this is the best I could do and it took me 3 hours to almost to get this far and stable

benchmark.thumb.jpg.9fdac58bda29eb34baad6ea3ee772d33.jpg

Its a no go bro, had to go below 1200 fsb to get it to boot vista, I plan on getting some Du Orb's for my grfx tonite maybe need to get a different cooler for my cpu?

and i am going to look at some different memory, the only memory i found that was on asus website that was qualified/tested for striker extreme was corsair 800 mhz, is that true?

The memory controller on 680i is validated for a maximum of 800Mhz.

. Since Nvidia nForce 680i SLI chipset allows clocking the memory pseudo-synchronously, the DDR2 SDRAM in our test session worked at 800MHz or slightly lower frequency with 4-4-4-12-2T timings.

I would not go for different memory. Just set the DRAM speed to ~800Mhz and set the timings to 4-4-4-12 and 2.1v. Memtest. That's almost as fast as 5-5-5-15 anyway.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-striker-extreme_8.html#sect0

Its a no go bro, had to go below 1200 fsb to get it to boot vista, I plan on getting some Du Orb's for my grfx tonite maybe need to get a different cooler for my cpu?

and i am going to look at some different memory, the only memory i found that was on asus website that was qualified/tested for striker extreme was corsair 800 mhz, is that true?

Okay thanks for all your help dude, at least i learned something out of all that, your a good teacher bro sorry if some of it seemed senseless to Ya :winking:

For right now i just set it to linked mode 1:1

I will do your recommendation and run it at 800 mhz and keep the 4 sticks i have, thanks for saving me time and $ :D

It's all good. It's not as though your system is slow at anything :D:

Okay thanks for all your help dude, at least i learned something out of all that, your a good teacher bro sorry if some of it seemed senseless to Ya :winking:

For right now i just set it to linked mode 1:1

I will do your recommendation and run it at 800 mhz and keep the 4 sticks i have, thanks for saving me time and $ :D

• 5 months later...

Im back Man ;)

Ive finally broke down and went with TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G

now Im wondering what kind of clock speeds I can gett out of those sticks, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:sunglasse

It seems that 1 of those corsair dominator sticks I had just went Kaput so I traded them cause I no longer have a reciet for em ;)

I have already went 5-5-5-16 the went unlinked and pushed processor to 1166 MHz and the Memory I pushed to 888 MHz

It seems to run better with the 800 MHz modules then the 1066 I had in it.

I havent seen Ya in awhile,

So would you be will to at least give me

Bank Cycle Time=25 clocks as of now, can I go to 22?

My sticks say 5-5-5-18 can I go 5-5-5-15?

And how about the advanced settings for that specific module

* RAS -

* CAS -

* tRRD

* tRAS -

* tRCD -

* tCL -

* tRP -

* tCLK –

* Command Rate -

* Latency

:sunglasse