Corsair Community

Possible to use 4GB ram with Asus M2N-X (NOT PLUS)?

denzilla

My manual that came with the board says 2GB (1GB per slot) is all it will take, but Asus's latest manual available online says its 4GB but it also says it has 4 DIMMS which is a misprint as it only has 2 slots. The online manual also says that you can't use double-sided sticks or sticks that are made up of 128Mb chips. Currently, I'm running 2GB Corsair VS RAM, but I'm starting to feel pinched for memory and I need to do something. I have just bought the 4GB Corsair kit VS2GB667D2 2x2GB KIT and need confirmation that this ram will work with my board. Asus didn't see fit to include motherboard standoffs past the RAM slots so I risk breaking the board if I insert them without removing it and placing it on a firm surface which will take time.

Does anyone have an Asus M2N-X board (NOT M2N-X PLUS) working with the 4GB VS2GB667D2 2x2GB KIT? Thanks in advance :)

According to this page it should work: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1576&l1=3&l2=101&l3=499&l4=0

Also, there is no harm in trying the memory since you already have it. Make sure you use the latest BIOS.

I mean no disrespect, but I clearly mentioned in my OP that their site says the board will accept 4GB of RAM. I am unsure because 1. The manual that came with my board indicates only 2GB (1GB per slot) is accepted and 2. Asus's online manual has a misprint which states the M2N-X has 4 RAM slots when in fact it only has 2. Misprints like that don't instill much confidence in me. Also, changing out my RAM is going to take time because the board has too be removed. I can't just slap it in and test it.

All I'm asking is confirmation from someone, be it a Corsair tech or a user with my board that it will indeed work. There is no point in me calling Asus's tech support and speaking to an apathetic rep who will just quote what their online manual says. I don't want to go through all the trouble just to find out it doesn't work.

Why does the board have to be removed? In all the situations I've seen the RAM slots are in a reasonably easily accessed position while the board is still installed.

I just looked over my board and the standoffs are in the right place support the RAM slots, its the PSU connector that was unsupported. Been awhile since I actually opened my PC so guess I forgot. I'll try the RAM tomorrow unless someone here says it won't work.

Archived