Corsair Community

HELP!!! I think my 850watt PSU killed my motherboard.... 2 times

toaster2812

Hello,

So let me start with complementing Corsair, you guys do a superb job on all or merchandise no matter what anyone says.

now...

to the issue...

I purchased a PSU 850watt from Newegg...

It worked great... till now...

I think something has happened to it and i can't trouble shoot to any other problem other then the PSU

I tried my CPU on a different computer... worked GREAT!!! (e8400)

I killed my mother board.

It started fine at first. and in the bios.... it froze. the first time i used it.

I really hope I don't have to RMA my PSU. I love it. I just need it to stop killing motherboards.

it killed my 780I motherboard... it made my CPU run hot, I eventual tried changing my liquid cooling system out from the stock fan to attempt to lower the temps. it ran higher... and higher... till it got to 103*c......... .. .. .. . . . .

Thats not good... soooo

I exchanged motherboards for a 750i and well you heard that story. it started, froze, died.

My main question here is. Could my PSU be overdoing it??? Could it actualy be SO good it killed my motherboard?? and if so... i need either a solution... or a new PSU right?

PLEASE HELP ME!

I'm lost :question:

So just to make it clear your second motherboard won't start anymore?

I had a problem once similar to this. I bought a new system but retained my old Hard Drive still with my old OS installed.

Once I booted the system, the kept freezing during the boot process. I later found out that I needed to reinstall my OS because my old OS was looking for my old motherboard and not recognizing the new one.

well. it doesn't even go into the bios, the motherboard beeps when it turns on. Mine doesn't... anymore that is xD

I talked to compusa, they tested the board. said it was bad. and my cpu was fine. so i narrowed it down to the power supply possibly over powering the motherboard and maybe burning it out on the first boot. I really don't know. That's why I'm here. I'm running windows se7en. but i wouldn't think that would cause a problem.

Try measuring the voltages at the mb connector. That is the only way to really determine if a power supply is bad. Otherwise, you are only making an assumption that the ps is defective. In order for a ps to take out a mb, you would need a severe overvoltage on one of the rails.

• Corsair Employees
Try measuring the voltages at the mb connector. That is the only way to really determine if a power supply is bad. Otherwise, you are only making an assumption that the ps is defective. In order for a ps to take out a mb, you would need a severe overvoltage on one of the rails.

Our over-voltage/over-current protection circuits would have also needed to fail. Normally if something is out of spec, the PSU should shut itself down before any damage is caused. At this point, unless you have a way to measure the voltages on the PSU, I would suggest that we replace the unit for you, just to be on the safe side.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived