Corsair Community

Random Reboots after replacing TWINX1024-3200XLPRO with TWINX2048-3200C2PT

Nimic

I recently upgraded the memory and PSU of my machine, from a 400W PowerUP to a 585W Orion and from TWINX1024-3200XLPRO to TWINX2048-3200C2PT (replaced the memory, did NOT add to it - ie I'm still using just 2 sticks). After this I started getting spurious reboots - sometimes while under moderate workload, sometimes under minimal workload, sometimes just after it'd finished rebooting from the previous spurious reboot. It could be an hour between reboots, or a couple minutes.

I had initially presumed this was more likely due to the PSU, so I removed the new memory and reinstalled the old. That way, if it continued crashing, I'd know it was the PSU. But instead, the crashes stopped. I haven't been able to replicate the random reboots with the old memory at all - though, of course, negative testing is much less conclusive. Switching back to the new memory, and the crashing returned. (by "crashing" I mean either spontaneous rebooting, blue screening, or completely freezing (frozen image, no response to mouse or keyboard input, no audio)).

In attempting to resolve this issue, I went to the BIOS and adjusted the memory timings manually. Since the two XMS Settings thread do not include the TWINX2048-3200C2 (they list the 512 and 256 singles / 1024 and 512 twinx), I used the settings provided for the other two sizes of TWINX-3200C2.

Initially, I used the 2-3-3-6 timings and left the voltage at default (2.65V). Crashes continued. Reading further, I saw that for AMD the appropriate timings are 2.5-3-3-6, and that the modules expect to be run at 2.7/2.75 volts. I changed the timings, and set the voltage to 2.7 (2.75 was not an option, and the BIOS autodetect had been 2.65). Crashes continued. I reset to the automatic values, just in case the experimenting might've somehow made a difference. Crashes continued.

Throughout this process, any time I switched back to the old TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (and reset BIOS to have all the memory settings on AUTO), the crashes ceased.

I'm guessing that RAM_GUY's first advice would be to run memtest86+, which I will do in the morning. Other than that though, is there anything I should be doing or something I could try? Am I right in that it is likely the memory that is the issue, rather than the new PSU, given the symptoms described?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Download Memtest86+ Version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Enter your BIOS, Load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults, and set to these values

Jumperfree Configuration

Overclock profile: Manual

OC Guru

CPU Operating Speed = User Define
- External Clock = 200/66/33Mhz
- Multiplier Factor = X 12
- AGP Ratio (CPU:AGP:PCI) Fixed

Voltages Control = Manual
CPU Core Voltage = Auto
AGP VDDQ Voltage = 1.55v
DDR SDRAM Voltage = 2.8v
NB Voltage = 1.55v
SB Voltage = 1.55v

DRAM Configuration

DRAM Clock = DDR400
DRAM Command Rate = 2T
Cas latency Time (Tcl) = 2.5
Ras# to Cas# Delay (Trcd) = 3
Min Ras# Active Time (Tras) = 6
RAS# Precharge Time (TRP) = 3
Row Cycle Time = 12
Row Refresh Cycle Time = 14
RAS# to RAS# Delay = 3
Write Recovery Time = 3
Write to Read Delay = 3
Read to Write Delay = 3

Shut the system down. Insert one stick in slot one (closest to the CPU) and boot to the Memtest CD. Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it in slot three. Repeat memtest. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert the second stick in slot one. Retest. Finally, insert a stick in slot one and slot three and repeat Memtest. If Stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Archived