Corsair Community

Asus Striker II Formula Memory

hackc39

I purchased 4 gB of Corsair Dominator CM2x2048-8500C5D to work on my Asus Striker II Formula. However it Blue Screens with the IRQ Less than equal 2 error which as far as I know refers to memory. Is this the correct memory for this picky board? The memory selector refers to Twinx4096-8500 C5D or C5DF. Can I assume that the memory i have is different? I have been going in circles for 2 months with this board and just received my 3rd RMA from ASUS, with each board having a somewhat different issue resulting in BSOD during Windows Install.They assure me that THIS board has been tested thourghly by their top line techs so I am looking at memory.

CM2x2048-8500C5D is not sold in sticks. Did you buy a pair of Twinx4096-8500C5D (which is comprised of 2 of the afforementioned sticks)?

Have you done any tests to see if it's actually the memory, versus say the memory controller or a memory slot?

Set the BIOS to the speed / timings / voltage as per the memory label and test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+ v2.11 (the latest).

When you said memory selector, did you mean the Corsair Compatibility Site?

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS. Load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker

CPU Level Up = Auto
AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
x Overclock Options = Disabled (Greyed Out)

FSB & Memory Config

CPU Level Up = Auto
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 1066
MEM (DDR), MHz = 1066

Spread Spectrum Control = All set to disabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
CPU Multiplier = 9 X
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Tech = Disabled
LDT Frequency = 5x

CPU Core 2 - Enabled
CPU Core 3 - Enabled
CPU Core 4 - Enabled

Memory Timing Setting

tCL: 5T
tRCD: 5T
tRP: 5T
tRAS: 15T
Command Per Clock = 2T
tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 60T

Over Voltage

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = 1.5v
CPU VTT Voltage = 1.25
Memory Voltage + 2.1v
NB Core Voltage = 1.45v
SB Core Voltage = 1.50[/Code]

Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

The settings worked. Thanks. I was having so many issues with the different boards that I received, each one being a different problem with BSOD's etc and speaking to several different techs at Asus that I was trying to overdiagnose the problems. I was being told to be especially carefully with the brand and model of memory and of course heat in the case. Consequently I was trying to be certain that this memory was the Twinx4096 that the Corsair Compatibility site recommends for the Asus Striiker II Formula and I now look at the bottom back of the package at a small label and it is indeed the Twin2x4096-8500C5D. Of course I did not see that before the first post; (result of working on this when I was tired). I also blew off the partions on the hard drives and re-partioned them just to be sure that there were no issues on this front as the issues were happening during Vista 64 Bit install, not completing before receiving a BSOD. Working throught all of this I tested each component, individually(1 Video card then the other), one memory stick then another etc. I also had a local computer shop try my CPU in another board and it booted fine as I had no other boards to test it on. Kudos to Corsair for having for doing all of the testing to help us.

• 2 weeks later...

Such an issue would relate to the board. These Nvidia based boards have a high rate of returns, hence the reason that Nvidia has quit making chipsets and now has a license agreement with Intel to use their chipsets.

I would look to RMA of the mainboard. Or, conversely, set to 800Mhz with 4-4-4-12 timings.

Hi DirekT,

thank you for your quick reply.

The PC hangs on start-up in bios on MP-init, and after a succesfully restart , the MEM (DDR), MHz is automatically reset to 800 MHz.

Greetings.

Hello Derekt,

I think that 2 modules are defect. The PC won't start up, even if they are separeted installed.

I have now installed 2 modules and they run on the following specs:

FSB (QDR), MHz = 1333

MEM (DDR), MHz = 1066.

Can I installed 2 x2 Gb-modules and is this significantly faster ?

Thanks in advanced.

Yes, you can and yes it will be faster, but not by much. 1066 @ 5-5-5-15 is very close to 800 @ 4-4-4-12 with the Nvidia memory controller.

I would try this:

Extreme Tweaker

CPU Level Up = Auto
AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
x Overclock Options = Disabled (Greyed Out)

FSB & Memory Config

CPU Level Up = Auto
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 1333
MEM (DDR), MHz = 800

Spread Spectrum Control = All set to disabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
CPU Multiplier = 9 X
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Tech = Disabled
LDT Frequency = 5x

CPU Core 2 - Enabled
CPU Core 3 - Enabled
CPU Core 4 - Enabled

Memory Timing Setting

tCL: 4T
tRCD: 4T
tRP: 4T
tRAS: 12T
Command Per Clock = 2T
tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 60T

Over Voltage

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = 1.5v
CPU VTT Voltage = 1.25
Memory Voltage + 2.1v
NB Core Voltage = 1.45v
SB Core Voltage = 1.50[/Code]

You need to memtest the modules singly. If one module works and one does not, then you have RMA. The entire quad kit will need to be sent back.

Can I installed 2 x2 Gb-modules and is this significantly faster ?

• 1 year later...

Hello Derekt,

long time ago, but I need your advise again.

After RMA, I got a new kit of 2 x 2048MB. After a while I have bought another 2 x 2048MB of memory. Also I have now 4 x 2048MB DDR2, PC2-6400, CM2X2048-8500C5D in dual mode (2 twins).

Can you give me the settings like you did above for this config ?

Thanks in advanced.

Archived