Corsair Community

Proper HX1000 rail distribution for 2 4870X2 boards in Crossfire?

gonzinator

I have a HX1000 and a pair of 4870X2 boards running in Crossfire. When I added the second board, my PC started crashing on cold boots, right after the BIOS hands off to Windows. After the first boot, everything starts fine, so I think it's probably a rail distribution problem.

After consulting the stickied HX1000 rail diagram, I ended up with the two 8-pin PCI-E connectors from the pigtail plugged into one card each. I'm not sure what the preferred option is for the two six-pin modular connectors. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Corsair Employees
You will want to make sure you have both fixed PCIE cables plugged into one card, and then use the 12v1 modular plugs with 2 of the modular PCIE cables to power the second card. Let us know if you still have problems!

• Corsair Employees
You may also want to run http://www.memtest.org, just to make sure that there are no memory related problems popping up when you have the second card installed. With the two cards installed there is definitely more stress on the chipset and if there is a problem somewhere then it may cause it to come to the surface.

Archived