Corsair Community

Buzzing in 3D games with CMPSU-650TX

Morgan19

I'm having what sounds like the same annoying problem as shown in

I purchased a Corsair 650TX power supply unit from Newegg in October 2008, along with other components I was building a system with. Everything runs great except when I load up any 3D game like Fallout 3, Dead Space, Neverwinter 2, Guild Wars, etc., when an awful buzzing noise eminates from the case.

For lack of a better description, it sounds exactly like a modem transferring data-- slightly softer but sort of a crunchy, textured-sounding buzz. What's worse is that the buzzing doesn't stay constant but rather fluctuates depending on where you look onscreen in each game, so the pitch, volume, and tone constantly change, making it impossible to ignore.

I'd originally thought it was the videocard... at least until opening the case. By listening, pulling components out, and isolating the noise, there's absolutely zero doubt to me that the noise is coming from the PSU. I've tried every video-related "remedy" the staff here on the boards has suggested like enabling or disabling vsync, changing resolutions or refresh rate, and so forth, and nothing has helped: the buzzing persists.

I've also tried the "disable C1E and EIST settings in BIOS" tactic suggested here with no effect: the buzzing noise is still there in games. At least it doesn't happen all the time, but when you build a gaming system you expect to, crazy as it sounds, be able to play games without being driven bonkers by one stupid noise.

I've long since gotten ridden of the PSU's packaging, thinking everything was running fine until I noticed this issue. I have the actual PSU and can produce a proof of purchase from Newegg. What options do I have? Exchange? Return?

Thanks,

m19

• Corsair Employees

If you would like to try getting the PSU replaced we can certainly try that, just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I would recommend testing the PSU in a different system to make sure you can duplicate the same issues. I would suspect that the issue is more video card related, and I would suggest trying the latest drivers both from the video card manufacturers website, as well as the drivers directly from Nvidias website to see if there is any difference. These issues tend to arise mostly when a Nvidia 200 series card is in the equation, and if you have an alternate video card, it may be a good idea to swap it in and see if the noise continues. If all else fails, then we can certainly get the unit replaced!

I would recommend testing the PSU in a different system to make sure you can duplicate the same issues.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to other systems, videocards, or PSUs.

I would suspect that the issue is more video card related, and I would suggest trying the latest drivers both from the video card manufacturers website, as well as the drivers directly from Nvidias website to see if there is any difference.

Tried all that– the buzzing has persisted through three regular updates of drivers and some other testing; no difference.

These issues tend to arise mostly when a Nvidia 200 series card is in the equation, and if you have an alternate video card, it may be a good idea to swap it in and see if the noise continues.

I don't have a 200. Per my system specs dropdown, it's a 9800GTX+. No alternate cards available.

If all else fails, then we can certainly get the unit replaced!

That would appear to be the only alternative at this time. However, my home/game computer is also used extensively for work and I can't afford to be without it while I ship a faulty PSU back and wait for a replacement. Does Corsair have any sort of system where I can get a replacement shipped to me, tested, and then either send the original back (if it works) or send the replacement back (if it doesn't work), without the downtime?

Thanks,

m19

Archived