Corsair Community

Mixing Modules, possible?

airslash

Hello,

I recently bought 2 new memory modules to increase my total RAM capacity to 4GB DDR2.

The old modules came with the pc when I bought it, and have the following specs:

CM2X1024-6400

5-5-5-12

800Mhz

1.90v

1024MB

As stated on the label on the 2 sticks.

Now I bought 2 extra sticks of 1024MB to increase my total size; but when I opened the package I noticed the following:

CM2X1024-6400

5-5-5-18

800Mhz

XMS6405v5.1

The new batch of RAM does not mention the ideal voltage to be running, and their timing seems to be different.

I'm fairly new into overclocking, and I want to know if I can get these 4 modules to work together on an OC'd system?

I bought them from amazon.de and they didn't list the timings, now I hope that I can use these modules together.

• Corsair Employees

Mixing memory is hit and miss and not officially support but I would try what we have posted previously with 4 modules.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ok,

I had a issue with my ram before, namely that I ended up with 2 different modules. The details are in this topic :

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?p=386961#post386961

So In the end I bought additional memory with the same timings, but the versions didn't match. One kit was 5.2 version, the other was a 7.2 version.

Besides that everything was the same (e.g timings and speed)

I tried to boot my pc with the two new kits installed, but I wasn't able to even get past the BIOS screen. The PC constantly froze, windows recieved STOP errors. I even tried to lower the speeds and change my BIOS settings to take off the stress on these components, nothing worked.

I was able to boot the pc with one of the kits installed. If I used the version 7.2 in dual channel, the pc booted fine. If I tried to combine it with the 5.2 version, the pc even refused to boot.

Then I tried to boot with the 5.2version alone, to see if that would work, but the pc even refused to boot with that kit.

Now I have my old DDR2 kit mixed with my version 7.2 and the pc runs smooth. It even runs at 800Mhz in dual channel mode with 4 modules on the board. As far as I read this doesnt work normally due the memory controller beeing overstressed.

Now I want to ask, I think the kit I have now as spare is broken, as my pc refused to boot. Would it be possible to send these items back to Corsair and recieve a refund for them?

I nearly went crazy of frustration....been working the whole day on this pc to finnally come to this conclusion

Archived