Corsair Community

TX-650 initial startup

DonB

I just installed a new CMPSU-650TX. When I started it up the first time it made a horrible fan noise. Like I was killing a cat. I shut down before it got to my boot manager, checked things out and restarted. This time the noise was more subdued. I shut it down again at the boot manager. After a third start, the noise went away so I allowed the computer to go ahead and boot. No problems thereafter.

Any thoughts on this? The only time I've ever heard such a noise was at end-of-life. Never at the beginning.

Thanks,

Don

• Corsair Employees
The only thing that I could think of that could be that loud, would be the power alarm on the graphics card. Is there a possibility that a PCI-E connector was not plugged in solidly? If the system is functioning normally then I would not suspect there is a hardware problem with the PSU, however if the noise comes back, or if you have any other strange behavior we can definitely try replacing the unit, just to be on the safe side.

I'm fairly positive it was the PSU fan. It's almost as if the fan bearings were painted or partially seizing up in some manner. There's been no more noise but I'll keep tabs on it. Hopefully it's fine now.

It wasn't a PCI-E connector causing a problem. I use a MSI MS-7325 v1.0 (K9N4 SLI) with a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE (MSI NX7300LE 256 MB) card. The only power connector for that is a molex to the motherboard and it was definitely a good connection.

• Corsair Employees
Okay, I agree although it's so weird for me to consider that something from Corsair may need RMA. Stuff happens, I suppose.

It doesn't happen often, but no electronics manufacturer I know of has a 0% failure rate, so if it looks like PSU may be causing the problem, then let us know!

Archived