Corsair Community

Slow USB Transfer Rate

ps89

Hello guys. I'm using a Dell Studio 1535 and I have a 16GB Corsair Flash Voyager GT USB thumbdrive. I noticed that the write speed of my thumbdrive is slow when I copy files from my laptop to the thumbdrive. However, the write speed of my desktop is very fast. The average write speed for my desktop is about 17MB/s while my laptop only manages 7-8MB/s. Is there any specific reason for this? What should I do to improve the write speed of my thumbdrive on my laptop? Should I enable write caching? By the way, I'm using NTFS for my thumbdrive.

• 2 months later...
Hello. I have a 16GB Corsair Flash Voyager GT USB drive. I notice that the write performance is very bad under NTFS. While copying files from my computer to the drive, the drive will stop transferring for a few seconds intermittently and continue again. I noticed this trend based on the transfer status window of Windows Vista. The progress bar of the transfer status window will stop for a while, then proceed to move again. When the progress stops, the transfer rate will not change. Besides that, Windows Explorer will sometimes stop responding for a moment until the transfer finishes though sometimes it responds again while transferring is still taking place. This happens on both read and write. Is there anything I can do to solve these problems? I just got this drive a few months ago.

• Corsair Employees

That seems to be a common issue with Vista.

I would check this link as it seems to be a common issue with Vista

This seems to work as well.

Go to Local Disk ©, got to Windows, got to System32, go to Driverstore, go to Filerepository, go to usbstor.inf ( click the on that is newest), copy the usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF files. After you have copied the two files got to Windows, inf folder and paste the files in that folder. Now your usb devices (flash drives, hard drives, ipods, etc.) should work. But you may need to remove the listed device for the non functioning device and restart the system.

How about Windows 7? I've tried it and it's still the same. Surprisingly, there is no problem at all if the drive if formatted to FAT32. But I need to use NTFS to store large files.

Archived