Corsair Community

Another Core i7 voltage concern.

Zapper_Weisman

I just got my Core i7 parts today! I went nuts and bought the Extreme Edition. :biggrin:

I am concerned about the voltage and I hope someone can put my concern to rest. I read here about how the QPI/VTT needs to be within 0.5v of the DRAM voltage and that should be fine. With this memory kit using the XMP profile it's set to QPI/DRAM Core Voltage of 1.35000 and DRAM Bus Voltage of 1.66 @ DDR3 1600.

My questions are, is that default setting "safe"? Obviously I just bought a 1 grand CPU and I want this sucker to last as long as possible! Are these settings within the safety limit?

And can I get away with setting the memory at a lower voltage and still be stable?

And last, should I be able to run at 1N DRAM Timing Mode stably?

Thanks. Totally new to Core i7 stuff.

• Corsair Employees

I suggest you try the memory at 1.65v and the QPI voltage at the stock settings if you are not comfortable with the XMP values. I personally have run an EE965 CPU at stock QPI voltage and the memory at 1600+, at 1.65v. So, on some CPUs, you may not need as much QPI voltage as the XMP profiles.

As far as data rate, you should be able to run 1N. I have run 12 GB (6 modules x 2) at a 1N setting with ease.

It's just too new a platform to know what the longer term effects are and because of that I am personally staying within the Intel Specs until the more risk taking enthusiasts show the results. The XMP settings are safe.

You should be able to run with 1T and just use your system. Lower the voltage a bit and Memtest, then use the system for a week or so and see if you are stable.

Edit: Beat to the punch by RG . . . again :p:

I just got my Core i7 parts today! I went nuts and bought the Extreme Edition. :biggrin:

I am concerned about the voltage and I hope someone can put my concern to rest. I read here about how the QPI/VTT needs to be within 0.5v of the DRAM voltage and that should be fine. With this memory kit using the XMP profile it's set to QPI/DRAM Core Voltage of 1.35000 and DRAM Bus Voltage of 1.66 @ DDR3 1600.

I sure like my i7.

My questions are, is that default setting "safe"? Obviously I just bought a 1 grand CPU and I want this sucker to last as long as possible! Are these settings within the safety limit?

And can I get away with setting the memory at a lower voltage and still be stable?

And last, should I be able to run at 1N DRAM Timing Mode stably?

Thanks. Totally new to Core i7 stuff.

I tried looking it up but what is the default QPI/DRAM Core Voltage? (1.2v?) I suppose if I set that to Auto the default is what it would be set to. Is that correct?

I've been reading around trying to make sure I understand this as much as I can. I do not plan to overclock the CPU at this time so defaults are fine by me. It's fast enough for the time being and then some. :biggrin:

Thanks for the responses. This is why I use Corsair. Always love the support I get!

Archived