Corsair Community

Voltage for CM2x1024-8500C5D

phantomdog

Ok I have read many topics on this and the more I read, the more I get confused...In a nutshell, I am running a XFX 780i MB and have 4 GB filling all 4 slots (1 GB each). I have been told on this forum that the 4 1GB will not operate at 1066 and I need to back down the speed to 800MHz.

I am trying to determine what voltage they should be set at if I maintain the 4 modules in the system. I have version 1.2.

By the way...the MCP (which I think is the NB) is set at 1.5V and the SPP (SB) is set at 1.4V

Thanks!!

You have Micron D9's. Please check the modules to see what the voltage values are, they are usually 2.2v. I would personally get some aftermarket cooling or set a 120mm fan close to the DRAM because Microns tend to run warm and you don't want long term damage.

Set MCP NB to 1.55v and SPP to 1.45v

I reiterate, I would personally actively cool those modules as when running together they can get warm, when running four up they WILL get quite warm, sometimes quite hot. Actively cool them.

• Corsair Employees

Since you are attempting to run the memory at specifications other than what we have tested, you are going to need to do some testing of your own.

I would suggest that you also try testing lower voltages with this setup. Manually set your frequency to DDR800, latencies to 5,5,5,15 and command rate to 2T. Then, try 1.8v memory voltage and test with Memtest. If it's not stable try increasing the voltage in small steps until you get stable. You can also do this with the latencies as your system should be able to run slightly better latencies with these modules.

Once the system is dialed in and stable at the desired settings and voltage with Memtest, you can then test it in the OS to make sure it's stable there.

Thanks Gents,

I had this system built by Digital Storm Computers so this is the hardware & settings it came with. Problem is when I run games, I get the NVLDDMKM Error (no time else and it boots fine every time).

All I have read is that these modules will not run at 1066Mhz (again that is what they have it set at). They did install the Corsair air cooling unit on the modules. Timings are 5-4-4-10-2T

trc set at 29

Agian, I have no other issues other than this error and only when playing games (Crysis COD4).

You have our advice. I would contact Digital Storm Computers and see what they have to say.

Thanks Gents,

I had this system built by Digital Storm Computers so this is the hardware & settings it came with. Problem is when I run games, I get the NVLDDMKM Error (no time else and it boots fine every time).

All I have read is that these modules will not run at 1066Mhz (again that is what they have it set at). They did install the Corsair air cooling unit on the modules. Timings are 5-4-4-10-2T

trc set at 29

Agian, I have no other issues other than this error and only when playing games (Crysis COD4).

Yep,

Doing that already...just don't understand why they would install memory that you don't recommend for this motherboard.

Looks like the best thing to do is to drop the speed down to 800Mhz and set the voltage at 2.1v. I have no idea what the NB default voltage was since you are recommending that I set it at .2 above default.

If I would purchase twinCM2X2048-8500C5D would I be able to run it at 1066MHZ

Thanks for the all the advice.

As stated above, Corsair does not recommend running a two kit, four DRAM slot population at the same speed as a two slot population. If you run two sticks (1 Kit), then you are advised to run it at the full speed and if you run four sticks (2 Kits) then you are advised to drop the bandwidth. Thus, if you purchased 1 Kit of Twin2X4096-8500C5 = 4GB, you would then be advised to run it at full speed. If you purchased two kits of the above, you would then be advised to run at 800Mhz and add +.2v to your NB default voltage, which is, 1.35v and stepped from 1.5v to 3.4v in .02 steps.

I would not advise 5-4-4-10 @ 1066Mhz with a four DRAM slot population. That you have stayed stable this long is testament to you having a very good iteration of the motherboard. Actively cooling via fan was also a very good thing. The memory is recommended for that motherboard and as a matter of a fact, it is that chipset (Nvidia) that can get the best speeds out of it. However, it is not recommended to run them that fast with four up. This puts far more load on the memory controller and can, in both short term or long term have deleterious effects.

Yep,

Doing that already...just don't understand why they would install memory that you don't recommend for this motherboard.

Looks like the best thing to do is to drop the speed down to 800Mhz and set the voltage at 2.1v. I have no idea what the NB default voltage was since you are recommending that I set it at .2 above default.

If I would purchase twinCM2X2048-8500C5D would I be able to run it at 1066MHZ

Thanks for the all the advice.

Thanks again for the advice. I will talk to them to see if we can switch out the 1024 with the 2048 kit...that way I can run it at 1066MHz. Although I am not sure if 4 slots (1GB each) of 800MHz is better or worse than 2 slots (2GB each) at 1066Mh. But the way you have presented it, the one kit of 2048 is less stressful on the NB.

Yes. 2 modules of 2GB is far less stressful to the memory controller than 4 modules of 1GB.

Thanks again for the advice. I will talk to them to see if we can switch out the 1024 with the 2048 kit...that way I can run it at 1066MHz. Although I am not sure if 4 slots (1GB each) of 800MHz is better or worse than 2 slots (2GB each) at 1066Mh. But the way you have presented it, the one kit of 2048 is less stressful on the NB.

This is a video card related error. You may want to do some Googling.

You won't believe how much I have googled this issue..it's on just about every forum with as many "fixes". People have tried every thing to resolve this error. After many hours of research and people with the same MB (Nforce 780i sli) and memory as me, it's a good bet it's pointing to a speed issue...memory and/or video card, etc. I am attributing it to memory because I have no heat issues with the vid cards. It it appears that this particular NB chip has a hard time keeping up with the speed of these modules.

I have nothing to lose at this point...

• Corsair Employees

Based on the few examples I read, it seems to be driver related. Have you tried testing your system with a single GPU to eliminate either board or either GPU as a possible culprit?

Just for testing, I'd suggest you set the memory frequency to DDR667 and try to test all of the other components in the system. You could also try it with 2GB instead of 4GB.

Archived