Corsair Community

Asus P5Q and Twin2X2048-8500C5D G

Wuff

I built a new system (see profile) and can't get the 2nd module to work. I testet my first set on another board afterwards, one module was working, the other one wasn't. So I got a new set of RAM (tested at the vendor to be working) and get the same problem. With both modules installed the system does not boot, the first one runs smoothly the other results in a black screen without reaching the BIOS (fans work). I've already used Asus live update for the newest BIOS version and set manually to 2.1 Volt (I left most options on auto, one module is working fine after all).

Is it it possible that my new board destroys RAM inserted into slot 2 (first kit, first try was 1+2) and slot 3 (2nd kit, first try was 1+3)? I'm reluctant to test the working module in another slot ...

It's possible your board is overvolting memory. I would RMA the DRAM and the motherboard to be certain. Document the serial number of both the DRAM and board so that you can check the new hardware.

Is it it possible that my new board destroys RAM inserted into slot 2 (first kit, first try was 1+2) and slot 3 (2nd kit, first try was 1+3)? I'm reluctant to test the working module in another slot ...

• Corsair Employees

Try testing the modules with Memtest. Start by clearing your BIOS, install 1 module in the "0" slot closest to the CPU, reboot and manually set the voltage to 2.1v, timings to 5,5,5,15 and disable Legacy USB Support for testing. Then, test each individual module in the 0 slot for 3-5 passes each using Memtest.

http://www.memtest.org

Try testing the modules with Memtest. Start by clearing your BIOS, install 1 module in the "0" slot closest to the CPU, reboot and manually set the voltage to 2.1v, timings to 5,5,5,15 and disable Legacy USB Support for testing. Then, test each individual module in the 0 slot for 3-5 passes each using Memtest.

http://www.memtest.org

As you probably already assumed, I mixed up the slot numbers, sorry - my fault. I tried every module in Slot 0.

I didn't think of disabling Legacy USB Support, but sadly it didn't help - I can't run Memtest with my second module because my system does not boot with it installed. There is not even the usual "ready" beep, just a black screen (tried manual settings 5,5,5,15 - automatic settings after I set to manual, 2.1v - had to increase after changing from manual, as well as the default BIOS.)

• Corsair Employees

Just to be clear:

You tried 1 set of memory and had a bad module.

You replaced the first kit with a 2nd kit which was verified to be working by your vendor. (Did you witness this test in person?)

You placed the 2nd kit into the motherboard and now you again have a dead module?

Is this correct?

Also, just so I am clear, have you tried both modules individually in the 0 slot?

Just to be clear:

You tried 1 set of memory and had a bad module.

Correct. Tested on 2 different Boards. One was not working.

You replaced the first kit with a 2nd kit which was verified to be working by your vendor. (Did you witness this test in person?)

Correct. I did not witness, but the RMA guy/tester is a buddy of mine (so I really doubt I got the same set twice).

You placed the 2nd kit into the motherboard and now you again have a dead module?

Also, just so I am clear, have you tried both modules individually in the 0 slot?

Correct. (Although I tried the now broken(?) module in another slot first.)

Archived