Corsair Community

VX450W - Whine problem under certain loads.

detonate

I love my VX450W. It's quiet and works great! However it began giving me a whine under certain loads. If I run prime95, I don't hear it, but when I open an application like Firefox or something in that caliber, I get that high pitched whine. I have my computer close to me so it really is disturbing when I'm just browsing the net or reading an e-book.

I separated the PSU from the case (mobo, hard drives, etc) while everything was plugged in and the sound definitely is coming form the PSU. I can reproduce it every time.

Any help?

Thanks for responding.

In safe mode, the whine is less noticeable as it's not that loud, but it's still there. My computer rig is made to be quiet (yate loons, s-flex, hard drive suspension) and my room is actually quite quiet so the whine is audible.

In addition, I learned that the whine also occurs when my hard drive is being accessed, both in safe mode and not. While vista was on desktop and my ear to the psu, vista started churning my hard drive (probably indexing), and I heard whine erupt from the psu.

I hope you understand what I'm saying. I call it whine because my Lenovo laptop with Core2Duo has the infamous CPU whine (which was lessened with RMClock and altering the power management) and that's exactly what the PSU sounds like, the CPU whine of the Mobile Core2Duo processors.

• Corsair Employees

The whine is likely coming from a capacitor from either your motherboard, video card, or PSU. Some users have resolved similar issues by disabling the power saving features of the CPU (Speedstep, C1E, etc.), while others have forced Vsync "on" through their video drivers which has helped. In this case since you have the same issues while in safe mode, I would say the video drivers are probably a less likely cause. If possible I would try the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same results, however we could definitely try replacing the unit for you if all else fails.

To have the PSU replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived