Corsair Community

One-year FLUSH!

adamsfbay

I have posted this before, twice. The strange thing is I have never gotten an official reply from Cool Guy. I have noticed others asking this as well - and no answer for them, either. I even wrote an email to CoolGuy about it. No answer. That makes me worry and wonder .... Question: since it is recommended that we change the coolant/water in our HydroCools every year, what is the best way to do this? Seems like a simple question - I basically need to know a way to boot up the Hydrocool without turning on the processor's power so I don't crisp it during the drain, flush, and refill process. This is my third time posting this question - and the nth time it's been asked on this forum. I hope Cool Guy will provide an answer. -Adam

Adam at SF Bay, If you would follow the thread titled "coolant" you would read the method to replace the coolant. [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23781&page=2&pp=15[/url] Flushing the coolant with the same mixture of 33% propylene glycol and distilled water ratio in the HC works the best. If CoolGuy replies, great, otherwise, I'll do the routine flush and document the steps we had undertaken. Mostly, in the lab, we purge the HC's with an air hose clamped onto a tube going into the HC box. The outlet (pressure side) gets a tube to drain into a bucket. A deep bucket. This prevents the coolant from spraying everywhere. I'll take the steps and see how an end-user would do this since not everyone owns an air-compressor in their garage. :sunglasse Stev

Thanks for your advice. My questions remain, though: 1. How do I run the power to the hydrocool without turning on the computer??? 2. How do normal end users, who cannot be expected to have an air hose, flush the system at one year? -Adam

Adam, Your questions: 1. How do I run the power to the hydrocool without turning on the computer??? You can power the HydroCool alone via the computer power supply when you unplug the Hard Drive's (HDD's) and the motherboard (MOBO) from the power supply (PSU). When the MOBO is off, the processors are not running to create heat. You can also run the HC from an PSU alone outside a computer. 2. How do normal end users, who cannot be expected to have an air hose, flush the system at one year? Nice question ... We are working on making a Fluid Flush Manual jointly with Corsair. The extra hardware, quick-snap clamps, that came with the HC will be utilized with the end-user purchasing about three feet or more of tubing at a local store. The original HC manual and the current one listed on the Corsair web site does not address fluid flushing the HC system as basic maintenance. We have a few HC's running in the office and in the lab. From time-to-time, we inspect these units. They have run longer than any of the units people have on their computers at home. So, at this point in time, changing the fluid isn't a priority. However, it is a topic that does and needs to be addressed shortly. Corsair could offer a fluid flush kit that includes the same hardware as the cold-block-tubes-clamps-quickdisconnects without the cold-block. Thus, a person can fluid flush the HC very easily. Stev

[quote name='stev']Adam, Your questions: 1. How do I run the power to the hydrocool without turning on the computer??? You can power the HydroCool alone via the computer power supply when you unplug the Hard Drive's (HDD's) and the motherboard (MOBO) from the power supply (PSU). When the MOBO is off, the processors are not running to create heat. You can also run the HC from an PSU alone outside a computer. [/QUOTE] Quick question about that one: When the MB is diconnected from the psu, how do I get the psu to power on? Seeing as there is no longer an "on" button?

[quote name='Mr.Monkey']Quick question about that one: When the MB is diconnected from the psu, how do I get the psu to power on? Seeing as there is no longer an "on" button?[/QUOTE] i just my HC yesterday, it turns on when there's power via the psu molex connector... i'm leaking testing my HC just by plugging the psu molex to the PCI controller card but leaving my existing HS/fan on my motherboard's cpu, turn on pc power and HC turns on

If your H200 system is already installed and you need to power it up, you don't need a second power supply or a compressor, just unplug your power to the MB (Stev above suggested to unplug the power to your hard drive(s) and CD/DVD drives as well) and use a jumper to start up your power supply. This way you can run your H200 system without powering up the computer and having to worry about temps during your process. Or if you don't feel safe doing it yourself you can buy an ATX Power Bypass Adaptor for under $5 all over the web, an example is [url]http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HSPC&Product_Code=ATXbypass&Category_Code=H2Oextra Hope this helps (Link updated 7/13/04)

Just purchased my coolant at Advanced Autoparts for $7 for a gallon (3.78L). Amazingly it's Ingredients match the Ingredients on the H200 bottle exactly: Propylene Glycol (57-55-6) Water (7732-18-5) Corrosion Inhibitors (proprietary) I poured the contents into my original H200 bottle and it even looks identical in color. I'm going to mix it as suggested 33% to 66% distilled water and will have enough to flush this baby thoroughly - plus keep enough for evaporation down the road :roll: Figure on giving Corsair blocks till the 1st of the month before looking into 3rd party blocks. Want to install the blocks right after flushing. Come on Corsair, I'd preferr your blocks!

[quote name='morrisgs']Just purchased my coolant at Advanced Autoparts for $7 for a gallon (3.78L). Amazingly it's Ingredients match the Ingredients on the H200 bottle exactly: Propylene Glycol (57-55-6) Water (7732-18-5) Corrosion Inhibitors (proprietary) I poured the contents into my original H200 bottle and it even looks identical in color. I'm going to mix it as suggested 33% to 66% distilled water and will have enough to flush this baby thoroughly - plus keep enough for evaporation down the road :roll: Figure on giving Corsair blocks till the 1st of the month before looking into 3rd party blocks. Want to install the blocks right after flushing. Come on Corsair, I'd preferr your blocks![/QUOTE] Morrisgs, I decided long ago to go with a Zalman water block (ZM-WB2) for my CPU and a Koolance (CHC-A09) for my video card and never looked back. Both components are top shelf and perform very well. My CPU temps are identical if not slightly lower than the stock Hydrocool block.

Archived